Eyelid incision not symmetrical and uneven - will it heal symmetrical?

Hi, I would like expert opinions on my eyelid surgery. Today is day 2 and I notice that my incision lines are bumpy and not in a smooth line - also the left side is higher than the right. My concern is how this will heal - apparently, the Dr. Allowed his training intern to draw my right side - and now I am scared that when healed they will not be symmetrical but one higher than the other. I need opinions for a peace of mind please! Thanks in advance!

Still to early to tell

Hi Elle13ad4u

Thank you for sharing your concerns. As it is still very early days, and the swelling and bruising is very normal, along with the bumps and lumps.

Give yourself a little time - the healing can take up to 3 months to fully subside and look 'normal'. In this time, however, if you have any concerns, go back and see your PS and ask him to have a look

Good luck with getting the results you desire.

Eyelid incisions

From these photos, your incisions look a bit high, but look symmetric.  As the swelling goes down they should look even better.     

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Your concern over upper eyelid incision placement

The appearance of your upper eyelid incisions at Day 2 after an upper blepharoplasty is, in my opinion, within what one typically sees. You are exhibiting mild swelling, very minimal bruising, and the skin adjacent to the actual sutures is slightly pink. I would recommend that you follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations as far as activity restrictions and wound care and let the natural phases of wound healing occur. Your surgeon is the best resource. If you had confidence in her or him to recommend a procedure and then go through with it, it is only logical for you to listen to your surgeon's instructions and guidance now. There is no reason to panic at this time.

Anthony P. Terrasse, MD

These incision are pretty symmetric.

Marking of the blepharoplasty is once of the most critical steps in the surgery.  Symmetry of these incisions is not my concern when looking at your photos.  My concern is that your incisions were made much too high for an Asian eyelid.  These creases were made at 10-12 mm.  Ideally, for you, they should be several millimeters lower.  As you heal your platforms will look extremely long.  As you heal may like this but I am concerned that you will recognize this to be an issue.  Ideally with double fold surgery, the fat and skin needs to be preserved to retain the essential character of the eyelid.  Perhaps you and your surgeon discussed this and this was an explicit choice. If you reconsider this, it is often possible to reposition the appearance of the platform length using a variety of reconstructive methods.  Follow the recommendations of your surgeon and let your eyelids heal for 6 to 12 months before deciding on this issue.

Incision asymmetry

I always reassure my patients not to worry about what they are seeing in the first couple weeks of healing and particularly in the first few days. I also warn my patients that the incisions are going to look a lot different on both sides because no one is symmetrical and if you design specific surgery for each eyelid you can achieve better symmetry.  The incisions are going to heal almost invisibly so you will not notice the asymmetry you notice now.  Obviously I'm not sure what was done in your situation but don't panic you may heal just perfectly! I wish you the best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid incision asymmetry at 2 days postop. Should I be concerned?

It appears from your photos that you are more swollen on the left side both on your eyelid platform and below your eye.  This can cause the incisions to look asymmetric temporarily.  The incision smoothness can also be affected by the sutures, and will usually improve upon suture removal.  Incisions tend to blend in very well over time, and become often unseen to the casual observer once fully healed between 3-6 months if not sooner.  I would suggest keeping the incisions moist with an ophthalmic ointment or vaseline and being in touch with your surgeon.  Two days postop is too early to be concerned, and I often ask my patients to give their incisions at least a few weeks before they become concerned.  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon