Iris doesn't touch bottom eyelid, what can I do to fix this? (Photo)

I have no clue why my iris doesn't touch my bottom eyelid, can this be corrected or is there nothing i can do to fix this?

Lower eyelid retraction

The lower eyelids sitting in a lower position can due to a number of reasons. I recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon to ensure that there are no secondary causes for your lower eyelid position. In addition, an oculoplastic surgeon can recommend a possible surgical intervention to raise the position of the lower eyelids. 

McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelids too low

Most surgeons use lower eyelid blepharoplasty, often with a canthoplasty treatment, to help patients with your condition.  Be sure to have a consultation IN PERSON with a qualified surgeon before deciding what you should have done.

Excess eyeball show

There are several reasons why you may have more scleral show than you would like to see.  The issue can be related to the size of the eyeball relative to the size of the bony eye socket or it could simply be related to the position of the lower eyelid.  A thorough evaluation by someone experienced in eyelid surgery will help to determine which issue is causing the excess scleral show and what is the best way to correct for this finding. Good luck!

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid retraction with sclera show

You have lower eyelid retraction with sclera show. It is best to obtain consultation from an oculoplastic specialist with expertise in this problem. See following link.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

"Scleral show"

What you are noticing is called inferior scleral show. This can be entirely normal and hereditary factors may play a role. Take a look in the mirror straight ahead to see if it is still there... your picture is taken in slight upgaze which enhances scleral show. This is not something that requires treatment unless you are having symptoms or having difficulty closing your eyes. An option if you are still concerned is an evaluation with an Oculoplastic surgeon. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scleral show

good observation on you part.   I do appreciate from your photo that your lower eyelids are both positioned well below your iris showing more of the Sclera (White of the eye).   This could be due to the orbits (bones around the eye) being too small making the eyes look like they are bulging or the eyes actually bulging.  This could also be due to the lower eyelids being everted or pulled down or too loose or not high enough to hug an eyeball that is being pushed out too much.  In the last situation where the eyeball is bulging more and the lower eyelids are being forced downwards tightening the eyelids would be incorrect.  In these circumstances either the eye should be pushed back surgically or the lower eyelid moved up surgicall.  Either way there are many reasons for this issue and an in person consultation with a qualified surgeon would be warranted.Thank you,Dr Schwarcz

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ectropion

Thank you for sharing your question. Your photos show that you have ectropion of both lower eyelids. This requires surgical correction.     See an Oculoplastic Surgeon in your area for consultation. Good luck,