Puffy upper eyelids and inner corners, what could be the reason and which doctor should I see? (Photo)

I'm 23 years old, and my eyes are getting hooded I don't know why! I used to have deepest eyes but few months ago my right eye started to get puffy I tried cold and hot pads but nothing worked, now both eyes are puffy around they eye folds, inner corners and almost the whole non-mobile eyelid, should I see a plastic surgeon, a dermatologist or an Ophthalmologist?!

Doctor Answers 4

Bulges in eye

The inner eye bulge is a fat pocket. If it bothers you, it can be reduced in size. The outer region is likely the lacrimal gland which can be reinforced and supported to the  upper inner aspect of the orbital rim.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Puffy Upper Eyelids

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears from the your photos that the puffiness near your nose is from a "fat pocket."  This can be removed surgically with an upper blepharoplasty procedure.  At the same time, loose skin and other fat pockets can be removed to shape your eye better.  Please see a qualified facial plastic, general plastic or oculoplastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

See an Oculoplastic surgeon

Hank you for your question. The inner corner bulge is a fat pad and this can be surgically trimmed down to produce the desired smooth contour while avoiding an excavated, empty look. The bulge out to the outer corner is likely to be the lacrimal gland and this should be tucked up and sutured under the bony rim above it, but not removed. Best of luck!

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

See oculoplastic specialist

See an oculoplastic specialist or ophthalmologist. The inner bump may be fat. The outer bump may be fat or lacrimal gland, or other. Need in person examination.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.