Is it okay to fly after sclerotherapy?

I had scelotherapy almost 3 weeks ago. For the last 2 days I've had a very sore lump on the back of my left leg. Is this normal or should I get it checked before I travel?

Flying after sclerotherapy

There is no issue with flying after sclerotherapy.  The lump on the back of your leg is most likely a thrombosis or clotted off vein segment.  This can lead to a localized area of phlebitis or inflamed vein segment.  Although not a medical concern, I would have the treating evaluate it and offer some treatments to reduce the lump and improve your results.  

Beverly Hills Physician

Flying after sclerotherapy

I allow my patients to fly after sclerotherapy, but I remind them to stay hydrated and walk around frequently to keep blood circulating in the legs. In this case, the painful lump should be checked out by your doctor prior to flying. It is better to be safe than sorry. 

Michael Nguyen, MD
New York Physician

Treatment of a superficial blood clot

You may have thrombophlebitis. I advise my patients to use Venasmart compression stockings after sclero to prevent this. You may need evacuation of the thrombus and Swellx tablets. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Flying after sclerotherapy

You should have your doctor check the lump on your leg. It is always best to have things that you feel are abnormal checked. Both my patients and me sleep better at night knowing that everything is ok.  Regarding flying, I do not restrict my patients from flying following sclerotherapy. 

Jeffrey Gosin, MD, FACS
Atlantic City Vascular Surgeon

Flying after sclerotherapy

I don't restrict flying following sclerotherapy but I would have the lump checked prior to flying.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Flying after Sclerotherapy

I recommend getting the lump evaluated to see if it needs to be removed. You are fine to fly, but I would follow your Dr's protocols regarding compression. Best, Dr. Emer

Sclerotherapy and flying

At 3 weeks, you are fine to fly.  Wear compression stockings if you have them as part of your treatment (all my patients do!).  The lump you can feel is likely clot in a vein that was closed by the sclerotherapy.  You should see the physician who treated you for an evaluation.  If it is a small clot, it can be removed with a needle to allow the vein to heal faster and for pain relief.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy and flying.

I recommend waiting 2 weeks to fly after sclerotherapy.  What you describe sound like a clotted superficial vein following sclerotherapy.  I would see your treating physician to ensure that there is no problem before you fly.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon