Elevating legs and sclerotherapy?

I elevate my legs daily when i get home and I've done so every day for past month after getting sclerotherapy And I was wondering: could hat be detrimental to the results? If I elevate my legs daily, promoting circulation could i be reopening or not letting veins close by having blood keep flowing?

Elevating legs and sclerotherapy?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, elevating the legs is very helpful for your veins as well as after sclerotherapy.  I would continue to elevate as much as possible and wear compression therapy when you will be standing on your feet for long periods.  Best of luck to you!

Post sclerotherapy election.

Elevating your legs post sclerotherapy will improve the venous return but it will do nothing to improve the results of sclerotherapy nor would it be detrimental to the tretment.  There is no need to elevate your legs post sclerotherapy treatment unless you have swelling.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Elevation of legs after sclerotherapy.

Actually elevating the legs after sclerotherapy is helpful, not harmful. In our office we have the patient elevate the legs for 10 to 20 minutes after the procedure before discharging them.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Sclerotherapy

Elevating your legs is really good for you!  When you elevate your legs, you lower the overall pressure in the veins by taking away the effects of gravity on the veins.  Think of the veins like a long, thin balloon.  If you take a balloon and fill it with water and hold it at the top, gravity pushes the column of water downward - that's hydrostatic pressure.  If you lay the balloon on a flat surface, gravity is now acting on the short axis of the balloon (side to side rather than top to bottom) so pressures are much lower inside the balloon.  If you raise the bottom of the balloon above the level of the top, gravity is now assisting in pushing the water towards the top of the balloon.  So if you elevate your legs, instead of gravity acting to keep blood toward your feet, it is now helping your body to direct blood back toward the heart.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon