chin implant removal swelling

I had a medium chin implant put in a few months ago and removed it about 2 weeks ago, however my chin still has the shape of the chin implant and some augmentation and I'm wondering if this is permanent or will it subside and how long if so? Really would like my chin to go back to the same size and shape it originally was...

Chin Implant Removal

It will take up to six months for the soft tissues of the chin to shrink and maximally adapt back down to the bone. They may or may not ever completely regain the original chin appearance in all aspects.

Swelling after Chin Implant Removal

Dear lcmadden, At two weeks post chin implant removal you are still seeing some swelling that should start dissipating slowly in the next few weeks. Since your chin implant was only in for two months I would assume that your chin will return to its original pre-operated on appearance. Give this process a few more weeks and you should be well on your road to recovery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant removal

It is not unusual for swelling to last a long time when the dissection is in the sub-periosteal plane. This is under the lining of the bone and where implants are generally placed. I would expect the shape of your chin to be somewhat more projected than it was prior to the surgery because of the capsule that forms around the implant. How much bigger is hard to say. However, most patients who undergo an explantation are usually satisfied with the end result even if the chin doesn't go back exactly to where it was originally.

Stephen J. Pincus, MD

Swelling after chin implant removal

It would be normal to still have some swelling 2 weeks after removal of a chin implant.  The swelling should gradually resolve over more time, but it could take several months.  Since you only had your chin implant in for a few months, the chances are good that your chin will look return to your pre-implant appearance.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal swelling

You didn't mention your age, but I am assuming you are fairly young.  Having a chin implant removed after a few months will not change the shape of the chin and most likely not stretch the skin permanently.  2 weeks is very early for recovery.  Give it time to return to the normal shape. 

Swelling after Chin Implant Removal

Generally speaking, it can take 6 to 12 months to completely heal after surgery. Please keep in touch with your surgeon or his/her clinical team to discuss your ongoing concerns.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon