Is this nipple appearance normal 3 weeks post gynecomastia surgery? (Photo)

I'm 3 weeks post op and just wondering if the nipple appearance is normal. One side looks perfect, the other side looks a little different. It seems as though there is a little more areola skin and the nipple, while not 'indented' is flush with the rest of the areola. I barely had any lipo done (since I'm thin) but the skin was undermined and everything is essentially flush with my chest. Should this (mostly the barely indented nipple) resolve itself over time?

Gynecomastia recovery

Looks like you have a nice result at 3 weeks. There is swelling to resolve and healing of the nipple areolar area that is usually done around 3 months.  I have found that these procedures are very forgiving in the healing process and results change and improve with time and usually require no further treatment . 

Nipples after gynecomastia surgery

Your result looks good, but it looks like you have some more healing to do, and swelling to get rid of. At 6-8 weeks post-op you should be getting close to your final appearance.  Be patient and make sure to go to all of your post-op visits.

Nicholas Husni, MD, PhD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Healing 3 Weeks After Gyno Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Nipple Asymmetry

Thank you for your question.  It looks like you are recovering quite nicely.  There can often be a bit of asymmetry from one side to the other of the chest under normal circumstances.  It is important to evaluate yourself and your photos to determine if there were areolar asymmetries prior to surgery.  Tissue removal can also sometimes lead to contour irregularities and asymmetry.  Based on your photos, the asymmetry is very slight and within normal limits.  Swellling postoperatively can also be asymmetric and this usually resolves on its own.  I would recommend that you give yourself some time to heal before evaluating your results.  Best wishes on your recovery!

Is this nipple appearance normal 3 weeks post gynecomastia surgery?

Appears as early indentation effect. but ONLY IN PERSON examination would allow a definitive diagnosis////

Nipple appearance normal 3 weeks post gynecomastia surgery

While it is early in the healing process, it would warrant you to raise your question to your surgeon and seek his or her guidance.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS