Is there any possibility of thyroid damage/Graves disease complications with cool sculpting?

Coolsculpting

If cool sculpting is performed by expert physician, then it is safe for the chin area with out any complications regarding the thyroid. I recommend mentioning your complete medical history to the treating physician. Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. There is no known association between CoolSculpting and thyroid disease. However, I would mention this to your treating physician. Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. I am unaware of any evidence that coolsculpting affects the thyroid gland or complications such as Graves disease.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting and the Thyroid

We have been getting a lot of questions lately regarding CoolSculpting and the thyroid gland.  There have been no cases documented of Grave's disease or other thyroid disease occurring in connection to CoolSculpting.  In the hands of an experienced Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon, CoolSculpting is one of the safest cosmetic procedures around.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Graves Disease

there is no association with graves or autoimmune disease and coolsculpting.  Even the coolmini will not affect the thyroid.  I suggest a formal consultation with an endocrinologist if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting won't affect thyroid

The new CoolMini won't be in the same area as the thyroid and won't affect a person with Graves Disease. The thyroid is much lower. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Any possible damage to thyroid damage with CoolSculpting?

A CoolSculpting procedure should have no effect on the thyroid gland or Graves disease.  You would require an examination to determine if you might be a good candidate for the procedure.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon