Is a patient owed a refund for a procedure not performed?

During my consultation for breast implants and a tummy tuck, the surgeon recommended a breast lift. I agreed to move forward with the lift as well and paid for the operation in full prior to the surgery (required), which itemized (breast implants with lift). During the operation, he decided not to do the lift b/c he felt I did not need a lift after the implants were in. I would like a refund for the amount of the breast lift that I paid for. Is this reasonable/expected?

You should get refund

The right thing would be to talk  with the office manager and request the refund.You should be resposible only  for the services that you recieved.  

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Any patient should expect a refund for an operation not performed.

Naturally, if the surgeon chooses to omit an operation a refund would be forthcoming. Is your surgeon actually refusing to do this?

Refund for procedure not performe

Hi boston

Your final cost is based on the procedure (surgeon fee, implant fee, anesthesia fee, surgery center fee).  As such, you were charged and paid for a lift, implants, tummy tuck.  You both agreed upon this in advance, and didn't change that arrangement.  You did not receive a breast lift and therefore you are entitled to a refund.  I am sure that it is an oversight so a gentle reminder to your doctor will be in order.

All the best.

sek

Thank you for your question. If they did not perform your procedure which you paid, usually they refund. Please talk to your PS office.

Refund

I am sure if you discuss this with the surgeon he will adjust your fee based on what was needed. Sometimes during surgery the implants are placed and the tension seems to be too much and then the surgeon may elect to stage the procedure. If this was the case with you they may have kept the money thinking you were coming back for the rest later. But if you are completely happy with the results as they are I'm sure they will give you the difference back. Best of luck.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Is a patient owed a refund for a procedure not performed

If you do have itemized pricing that includes a lift, and your surgery report says that one was not performed, then you would be do a refund for the cost of that procedure. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Based on the information you provided, if you paid for a breast lift and did not get it, you deserve a refund. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your breast augmentation and tummy tuck.  I think it is very reasonable to have your money returned to you for any procedures not performed at the time of surgery.  Best wishes.

Refund

You need to discuss this with your surgeon. Most surgeons would refund the money if the procedure was not done. Congratulations on your new look!

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is reasonable to expect a refund for procedure not performed. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.