Which type of implant would be best suited for tuberous breast correction? (photo)

I am trying to decide between a silicone shaped implant or a silicone round implant. I want them to look and feel very natural. I want them to move like real boobs. Also I would like to achieve full perkiness without my breast being high profile or poking out too much from the side.

Tuberous breast

I would recommend a silicone (gummy), submuscular, peri-areolar incision.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Constricted or tubular breasts tend to be too narrow with a breast crease that is too high. Tight ring-like bands of tissue around the areolae and nipples may create the appearance of protruding or puffy areolae. A higher than normal breast crease may make your nipples appear to be too low or down pointing. Constricted breast features can be very mild or severe. In fact, mild variations are relatively common. To summarize, the features can include:

•          Inframammary fold (breast crease) too high
  •          Inframammary fold misshapen
  •          Breasts too narrow (disproportionately narrow base width)
  •          Insufficient breast skin
  •          Constricted or tubular shape, resulting from tight bands of tissue within breasts
  •          Protruding or bulging appearance of areolae (pigmented area around nipples)

Improvement is possible and generally includes a breast augmentation, sometimes combined with a lift (mastopexy). The lift is usually limited to an incision around the areolae. During the procedure, I release the tight, constricting bands from the inside, allowing the skin to expand properly. I also lower the inframammary fold to a more ideal position and improve its shape. Breast implants help create the right amount of volume and improve breast contours, resulting in a more rounded or tear drop shape.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Breast implants for tuberous breasts

Thank you for the question and photo. To achieve your goals you need to be measured for an implant that fits your frame and breast width. You can feel both kinds of implants in the office and try them on. Bringing in photos of what you'd like to look like during your consultation will be very helpful to your surgeon. Once you have the appropriate size implants and have completely healed they should feel and look natural. 

Dr. Khuthaila

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

I prefer to use silicone round implants as opposed to shape implants.  It looks like you need a small circumareola lift as well. Good luck.

Tuberous breasts

Thanks for the question and for the look alike photo.

Your surgical procedure is more about the releasing of breast tissue and stretching of the breast skin to make an adequate breast pocket.  The type of implant is certainly important ( usually silicone subglandular), but the shape and size would need to be discussed after first evaluating your breast and skin to see what is obtainable.

Sewek out a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Tuberous breast correction

Dear soseductive0302,

Correction of tuberous breast deformity and augmentation of the breasts can be effectively performed with many types of breast implant.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each of the different implant types.  Discussion with an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon can help you to delineate these differences.  Good luck!

Which type of implant would be best suited for tuberous breast correction?

Thank you for the question. I think that you  should do very well undergoing correction of constricted breasts with breast augmentation and circumareolar mastopexy surgery.

These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. ***Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved  for patients with constricted breasts using round silicone gel breast implants.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for patients with constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, shape, and profile of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question.  The most important decision is choosing a very experienced board certified plastic surgeon in following that surgeon's advice.  Based on the following you provided he will definitely need a breast lift, possibly excision of subareolar skin and possibly release of constrictions beneath the areola.  This is difficult surgery and requires experience.  We will also will likely need a second operation at some point.

In a recent survey of board-certified plastic surgeons 83% use smooth round silicone gel implants.

Your breasts

Since that is not you, you would need to be seen. I personally use smooth round implants for people with your issue. Also sometimes a periareolar reducton is needed. But again -- you need to be seen to know for sure. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD