Will my areola get bigger when I get a breast augmentation? Do I need a lift as well? (Photo)

Hello, I am looking forward to get a breast augmentation. But I am also very insecure and uncomfortable with how big my aerola is especially for my small breasts, will they get bigger when I get breast implants? Will they effect breast feeding? I don't have kids yet. Also do I need a lift as well? Thanks so much in advance doctors. Please give me your insights

BA / areola / lift

Thank you for your question. Implants make your breasts bigger and can certainly stretch out and make your areola look wider, especially with very large implants.  A breast lift would be needed if you wanted to improve breast perkiness and optimize the nipple position.  The lift can also help to control the size of the areola as well.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Will my areola get bigger when I get a breast augmentation? Do I need a lift as well?

Yes, your areolar will get larger with breast implants. A good analogy is to draw a circle on a balloon and then blow it up. As the balloon gets larger so will the circle. It's the same with your areolar.

However, judging from your photos, you do need a mastopexy (uplift) for the most attractive appearance as your nipples presently point downward, and they are below your inframammory crease. The good news is that your areolar will get smaller with a mastopexy. My suggestion is to mention your concerns to your PS so he or she has a full understanding  of your goals. I also suggest that you have your PS place "sizers" on your chest under a bra and T-shirt, and look at yourself in a full length mirror. This is the best way to determine your desired implant size.

I think you will get very nicely shaped breasts with an augmentation and mastopexy. Thank you for your question and photos, and best of luck to you.

Will my nipples stretch and Do I need a Lift?

I am going to suggest something a little different in the previous answers. Analyzing your photos, shows that your nipples are located at or above the fold of your breast. You do have a somewhat constricted base, with a wide intramammary (cleavage) distance. In your case,  I feel that you would have a very nice result with appropriately sized, position, and projected implants. This would give a nice modest lift and improve the fullness of your cleavage. In the future, after children you could consider having an areolar reduction if they're to stretched out for your liking after breast feeding. A full mastopexy, or breast lift, at your age may make breast feeding impossible and should be a consideration in your planning. Pre surgical 3D imaging can show you what you might look like with implants alone and no lift. Hope that helps. 

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Areolar Dimensions and Breast Augmentation

A good way to think of breast augmentation in lay terms is to view them through a magnifying glass. They will appear larger. The breast will be larger and everything will be magnified. The exact degree to which this will occur is difficult to predict with any certainty. However, the larger the implant the more noticeable these changes can be. Patients will often notice things like a more distended areola, more prominent vasculature (veins). Patients may also perceive a greater separation between the areola (although this is more of an optical illusion than anything else).

One point to consider, sub-muscular augmentation typically produces less areolar distortion than the relative sub-glandular implant due to the compressive effect of the pectoralis muscle.

Based upon your photos, you might benefit from lift/mastopexy as well. A coincident lift can help mitigate the distending effect of the implant by decreasing its dimensions on stretch.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

I think you are borderline on needing the breast lift. I think there is a greater chance of stretching the areolas out if the implant is placed above the muscle. I think an implant in a dual lane position should yield a nice result for you and could put off the breast lift.

Julio Garcia, MD

Lift or no Lift

Placement of a breast implant may increase the size of your areolas but it may not as well.  If your nipples are at the fold your breasts make with your chest (the inframammary fold), then an augmentation may be all that you may need.  Since the breast implant needs to be as close to directly beneath your nipples as possible and the breasts are made larger in all directions, including toward your stomach, the inframammary fold is often lowered.  This could make a minimally sagging breast appear not saggy or at least less saggy.  Lifting the nipple/areola causes scarring around the areola and typically down from it.  Scars fade but never go away.  If you can get the result you want with an augmentation only, do that.  It least consider doing it first and see how you do.  You can always do the lift procedure at a later date.  Also, after pregnancy, breasts tend to sag more.  Perhaps the breast lift procedure, if it is ever done, should be done after your children are born and breast fed.  An augmentation would not effect whether you can breast feed.  

Donato Viggiano, MD
Port Saint Lucie Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation

It looks like you need a little lift as well, and the augmentation alone will cause the areola to stretch a bit.

Implants and lift candidate

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 450ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

From your pictures you should do fine with an augmentation .As long  as you do not go too large  your areolae will not stretch much.

I you wanted a lift a circum- areolar lift will suffice .It will also help reduce the size of the areolae.

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lift

Dear Cloulouc,

The diameter of the areolae can increase after breast augmentation surgery.  It appears from the photos that you might need a breast lift, as your arms are elevated in all of them, which elevates your nipples.  Any surgery performed on the breasts can affect the ability to breast feed, so be sure to consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and risks.  Good luck!