Took Aspirin Week Before Tummy Tuck. Do I Need to Cancel Surgery?

Aspirin before a Tummy Tuck

Usually aspirin and similar medications need to be stopped two weeks before surgery. Aspirin is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, which affects platelet function. Despite platelet count being correct they do not function correctly. The process of regeneration usually takes two weeks for the bone marrow to generate new platelets to replace the affected platelets. So if a patient takes aspirin a week before an abdominoplasty the surgery needs to be postponed at least one week.

Took Aspirin prior to Tummy Tuck - now what

This is a question you need to speak with your plastic surgeon as there is not hard and fast answer. Clearly you will be at some increased risk for bruising and bleeding, but on the other hand we perform this procedure on certain patients who cannot stop this medication and take it throughout the pre and post operative period. 
A frank discussion of the risks involved with your surgeon is the best option at this point. 

Aspirin prior to surgery

It generally takes 2 weeks for the effects of aspirin to clear.  That said, we are often placing patients on blood thi nners post op to prevent blood clots.  It could affect the bleeding intraop though.  You will need to discuss this with your surgeon to see his comfort level.  Donald R Nunn Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Decision to be taken with your surgeon

If you are otherwise healthy and did not take other medications, the cessation of aspirin one week prior to surgery is likely sufficient.  However, this is a decision you should take together with your surgeon.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Ask your doctor

You should definitely ask your doctor. Asprin can increase the chance of bleeding before and after surgery. In my practice, we require patients be off asprin for 2 weeks before and after surgery. It will also depend if you take asprin on a regular basis. This is definitely something you should ask your doctor.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Aspirin one week before tummy tuck

The effects of aspirin on surgical bleeding are usually minor, especially 1-2 weeks later. If you were my patient, I would feel comfortable proceeding with surgery if you were. It is really a decision to be made by you and your surgeon.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

I took aspirin one week before planned tummy tuck

My opinion is that you should be fine to go ahead with the surgery.  Your doctor may have a different opinion so you really should call his office and let them know.  Generally, I have patients stop all anti-inflammatories including aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn, among others, at least a week before surgery.  I also have patients stop all supplements at the same time.  Many supplements have known effects on blood clotting and interactions with anesthetic drugs.  It is safest to stop them all and that includes regular vitamins.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Aspirin one week before scheduled surgery

Only your surgeon can answer that question for you. You need to make sure to tell him or her as soon as possible so he or she can plan your care appropriately. I would not cancel surgery for one of my patients particularly if it was just a single dose. But ask your surgeon.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Aspirin Effects Are Generally Gone After 5-7 Days

Ask your surgeon if he/she is comfortable performing your surgery if you took aspirin one week ago.  I personally would not cancel your surgery.  If there is a question a bleeding time study could be performed.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Took ASA 1 week before surgery, should I cancel?

there is good evidence that stopping ASA for 5 days allows for adequate recovery of platelet function for elective surgery. there are some tests that can be done to evaluate your platelet function but in general I would not require them if you have been off all platelet inhibitors for at least 5 days. ultimately, your surgeon needs to know so he/she can make the final choice. good luck.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon