Nose implant alternatives in Asian Rhinoplasty?

I am considering an Asian Rhinoplasty. I like the size of my nose (but when I smile, it looks a little wide in pictures), but I want my nose bridge to appear taller. However, I noticed the people who have implants, their noses are narrower than before.

I want to have a natural look, not too tall, and something that is permanent. I heard that silicone nose implants can shift over time or show through the skin. What other alternatives are there? Which one would fit me the best? And whats the recovery time? (My nose looks better in real person)

Asian Rhinoplasty - Implant options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Surgery with silicone implants is quicker, since they are pre-fabricated and easier to place than autologous grafts (tissue from your own body), and the recovery may be a bit easier. The results may also look good for several years, however they are not a permanent solution. As long as the implant is in place there will be an associated risk of infection, migration, and extrusion (coming through the skin) which is higher than that of autologous grafts.
The reason for the lack of permanence is that synthetic implants never become fully incorporated into your body. Using tissue from your own body will give you the safest, longest lasting results and a beautiful nose. Your own tissue has a much lower risk of infection or extrusion. Cartilage can be harvested from within your nose (septum) or from your ear, through an incision hidden in the crease behind your ear. Even in Asian patients these areas heal impeccably.

Gore-Tex implants are great for Asian rhinoplasty

I prefer to use 3D Gore-Tex implants for my Asian rhinoplasty clients. It helps create a beautifully contoured and balanced look. Gore-Tex implants are safe, effective, and don't require taking cartilage from other parts of the body such as the ear.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty and nasal implant options

Silicone implants are often used in Asian rhinoplasty and work quite well as long as the implant size is not too large.  This is the typical problem where it is more than obvious an implant has been placed.  Too big of an implant will leave a high bridge and will create the illusion of a high sidewall.  The silastic implants usually do not shift over time unless they are too big and cause pressure necrosis of the skin.  The implants we prefer are the silastic flowers nasal dorsal implants manufactured by Implantech.  They come in small, medium, large, and extra large.  Most patients will require either a small or a medium.  

To do photo imaging with your own photo, download our iPhone app free of charge.  Just enter "Seattle Plastic Surgery with Dr. Portuese" as search terms.  Once downloaded, you can simulate rhinoplasty by changing the shape of your nose to be smaller, larger, etc...  

Nasal bridge implant for Asian rhinoplasty patients

Hi ttcl,

Thank you for sharing a photograph. Based on the single photograph and your personal goals, a conserviative skin excision to narrow the nostrils might be more appropriate than a nasal implant.

Nasal augmentation of the bridge is a common part of rhinoplasty in Asian patients. Augmentation material is typically "plastic" material such as goretex or silicone. While one's own cartilage is generally preferred to augment the bridge, there may be insufficient nasal cartilage to provide adequate augmentation. Ear cartilage is another option. As a result, many plastic surgeons will use either of these materials. Both materials have advantages and disadvantages. There is a possibility with either implant that it may problems such as movement/shifting or infection, which may require removal.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choices for nasal implants.

Preformed silicone implants are used much more than any other material world wide for augmenting the Asian nose.They are usually  the easiest to implant with relatively little trauma.  Therefore, since a certain percentage of any type of rhinoplasty will not be satisfactory, the greatest number of unsatisfactory Asian rhinoplasties will have had a silastic (silicone) implant. . However in my experience, no other material gives a more consistent nice looking result when all goes right  .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty

As in many asian rhinoplasty cases, we discuss improving tip support, narrowing the nostrils (alar base reduction) and also dorsal augmentation. As mentioned, your options are augmentation using your own ear or rib cartilage, or a synthetic implant such as Goretex or Silicone. Implants can shift or extrude over time, and so for this reason I prefer a conservative dorsal augmentation with ear cartilage - if this is something you seek.

Discuss this with your surgeon carefully and good luck!!

Kapil Saigal, MD, FACS
Winter Park Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers vs Grafts in Rhinoplasty

One can use fillers to augment the dorsum of the nose and I do so to get an instant rhinoplasty but that is not a permanent procedure.  If you do use fillers, make sure to use a hyaluronic acid filler.  Silicone implants are certainly not my preference-I use either autologous rib or fresh frozen rib to give the look you desire for a dorsal augmentation.  However, to augment the tip one should use the patient’s own autologous cartilage.It is very important to seek a board certified plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon who is a true expert in ethnic rhinoplasty. 

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Natural Asian rhinoplasty

I agree with Dr. Lee, there is no better alternatives than your own tissue.  However, her options include your own cartilage or donor cartilage or a silicone implant.  The silicone implant as you pointed out should be the last choice because it's really only practical and patients who want moderate changes to the bridge and have thicker skin.  The patient who has thicker skin can have that silicone implant for a very long time and it want show through.  If your skin is a little bit on the thinner side for an Asian the implant tends to show.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives for nasal implants

Use your own tissue to build up the bridge. Cartilage from your septum and your ear will be sufficient to build your bridge without having to resort to rib. There's no more a natural look than using your own tissues.

Charles S. Lee, MD

Asian bridge implant options

Besides silicone implants other options include using your own cartilage (septum, ear, or rib). Other materials that implants can be made of include gortex and portex. Depending on your goals there are several options. I tend to prefer using patient's own tissue for these types of cases, but with bridge augmentation a synthetic implant can have its place, if you understand the risks.

An in person exam woul allow for a better evaluation of your options and a more detailed discussion of the pros and cons of the various approaches.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD