How much does FTM top surgery cost in Ohio?

I am a pre-op FTM, starting hormone replacement therapy next week. How much do I need to save up to cover the top surgery and all associated fees (hospitalization, anesthesia, etc.)?
See average cost for FTM Chest Masculinization Surgery

Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

#FTM Chest Masculinization Surgery

I appreciate your question. Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you go to The American Society of Plastic Surgery website and look for a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Cost of FTM in Ohio?

Although I can't tell you about the costs in Ohio, I can give you some other information.
Mastectomy for transgender men is a procedure that eliminates the breast by removing excess skin and most of the breast tissue. I utilize 5 different procedures and the procedure that is best for you will depend on your body size, your breast size, and the family history of breast cancer. We will make that determination during your consultation. This is a 3 hour outpatient procedure with a 14 day recovery off work, longer if you have a physical–type job. I recommend 4 weeks away from heavy pushing, pulling or lifting.
We follow the standards of care for transgender healthcare established by WPATH. For gender confirmation surgery (non-genital), a single report from an experienced therapist is necessary. Our patient must be comfortable with the male lifestyle and have a recommendation from a Psychologist or similar licensed professional, demonstrating his commitment to the permanent physical alteration of his body with documented therapy. We also require a letter documenting hormone therapy if hormones are taken.
At the present time, we are not in-network for any of the insurance companies for this procedure!
The total estimated “cosmetic cost” is $7500-$7900, and this includes the surgical fee, facility fee, anesthesia, and follow-up care including a touchup procedure if needed. Dr. Lincenberg does not use drains or compression garments. Patients traveling from out of town should plan on staying in the Atlanta area for a week after surgery or returning to Atlanta for postop visits.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Compare costs very carefully

Often it is not the best approach to find the cheapest plastic surgeon. Does the surgeon specialize in this procedure? What are their credentials? How long have they been in practice? What percentage of their practice is cosmetic surgery? How many of these surgeries have they performed? Do they use the latest techniques? What do their results look like? Do they have photos to show of their work? Do they provide follow-up themselves, or will you only see the nurses (or even just an assistant)? Are they available by phone for an emergency or does one of their staff answer after-hour calls? What is the impression you get from their office and staff? Are they professional and informative? Do they know what they are talking about? You need to ask yourself all of these questions.

When comparing quotes from different doctors, check to make sure that the costs you are quoted are for the same thing! Check to see what type of anesthesia and facility you are going to be treated in. If the total price is lower but you are not going to receive proper anesthesia from a board certified anesthesiologist, then are you getting a better deal (or inferior treatment)? If the facility is not a certified outpatient surgery center but is an in-office procedure room, is the difference in safety worth the cost reduction? If the doctor is not a board certified plastic surgeon, is that worth the discount in the fees? I would say the answer to all three of these questions is no!

Assuming you are talking about a board certified plastic surgeon with plenty of experience in Top Surgery, you need to find someone who you trust. This is your body, make sure you are making decisions based on the quality of care, the experience and training of the doctor, and proven results! Cost alone should not be the deciding factor.

The prices can vary from state to state, and from city to city. Our costs, including the board certified plastic surgeon's fees, board certified anesthesiologist's fees, operating room, labs, scar gel, vitamins, and follow-up at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and every year after that forever, are around $7995. If you need more follow-up appointments, those are free as well.

Cost of FTM top surgery

Thank you for your question and congratulations as you commence your transition. Costs can vary widely from state to state and even within your state depending on your geographic location. The cost will also vary depending on the technique used and any other associated procedures that must be done to give you the most masculine result. Even within our practice the prices range from $5900 to $7500 depending on how big the guy is preoperatively. The larger the patient, the more time for anesthesia, operating room and the more time the surgeon needs to tailor the excess skin and fat to give you the best aesthetic outcome. The cost is also dependent on how much of the procedure may be covered under insurance. Top surgery is a very important part of your transition and by all means do your homework - make sure your plastic surgeon is board certified and gets consistently excellent results on thin and heavy guys (ie check out his/her website). Best of luck!!

Russell Sassani, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon