Areola Reduction in a Male?

I have very large areolas. They are about 30 milimeteres in diameter. Is it possible to make them half as large as that?

Male nipples can be reduced without gynecomastia surgery.

Hi.

Even  though your problem falls under the general gynecomastia category, of course it is different, and easier to correct.  Reducing the diameter of areolas by a half sounds about right, and this can usually be done without conspicuous scarring

Male Areola Reduction Surgery

The average size for the male areola is 20-25 mm so a reduction to 15 mm would most likely appear too small.  The procedure requires a scar circumferentially around the areola.  A permanent, buried, circular suture to reduce the tension on the skin closure helps lessen the scarring.  Most of the time the procedure is done in conjunction with male breast reduction (gynecomastia procedure) but it can be performed alone as well.  

Philip E. Fleming, MD

Male areola reduction

Hi

I think you need to see a qualified plastic surgeon.  Although male areola reduction surgery can be performed, your areola of about 30mm in diameter is not that abnormally large.  Before proceeding to any surgery consider the scarring that you will aquire around the areola to perform a reduction as sometimes they are not aesthetically pleasing.

Regards

Stephen Salerno

Usually It is possible to reduce the areola without large scars.

90% of the time It is possible to reduce the areola without large scars around it .only a small incision under the areola. I have an innovative Technic. Look at the before and after in my web sites.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Areola Reduction in a Male

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.
As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition.
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Areola reduction

Yes it is possible to do both procedures at the same time. However, most often I find that the it is best to do it separately. For on reason, sometimes when I anticipate two surgeries - the second one is not needed. When the skin retracts for example after liposuction of the breasts so does the areola (which is a skin appendage) which may satisfy your wishes.
For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.

Areola Reduction in a Male?

Hi searchingforanswers,

Thanks for the post. Areolar reduction is possible but it is unclear whether you would need it. An areola of 3cm diameter is not much larger than the standard diameter for a man. Of course it has more to do with how the areola looks in relation to the chest. That being said, reducing it to 1.5cm may be too drastic but I would need to see what your chest looks like before advising further. Also, if you have any excess tissue under the areola, this an make it wider as well. Reduction of this tissue will make the areola smaller. If you look at the before after photos on my site, you will notice that all the men experiences some reduction in their areolar size just by removing the excess tissue.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Large male areola

The male areola can be reduced very simply by a circumareolar incision under local anesthesia if gynecomastia is not present. If present, removing the gynecomastia tissue will usually diminish the size of the areola. The areola can be made to any size that you desire (there are aesthetic standards to use as a guide) and both permanent and absorbable sutures are used. Recovery is minimal. One complication could be recurrent enlargement.

Areola reduction in men

Hi searchingforanswers! It is possible to perform areola reduction in males, just as it is in females. The main downside of the surgery is the potential scarring. A 30mm diameter areola is not especially large but the surgery is definitely possible - I suggest that you make an appointment with a plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and the pros and cons of surgery. Good luck!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Male Areola Reduction

Areola reduction in males is frequently done in conjunction with male breast reduction (Gynecomastia surgery), however it can be done as a stand alone procedure. In some males, 3 cm. is a normal size for the areola. In others, it may appear quite large. If it appears significantly too large for your frame and chest, then you just have to decide of a small scar around the outside of the areola is a good trade for having smaller areolae. The scar usually fades to minimal but there will be some puckering of the skin and the scar will be red for 3-9 months.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon