Is there a way to test if you will have a hypersensitive reaction to Botox prior to having the full amount injected?

not sure how something like this would work or if it would be effective not having had the full amount distributed. I guess my question is, if you were going to have a reaction to botox, would you have it regardless of the amount injected? Would it be possible to have a small amount administered to see if there was going to be an adverse reaction.

A small amount of botox could be injected prior to a full treatment to test if you have an Allergic reaction.

Although there is a risk of an allergic reaction to Botox (and the other botulinum toxins, Xeomin and Dysport), this risk is extremely low and I would venture to say that almost no practitioners who regularly inject Botox have ever seen an instance of a true allergic reaction to Botox. The symptoms of an allergic reaction would be rash, red itchy welts and could even be more significant such as wheezing and asthma symptoms. As I said these risks are very low and it is not necessary to do any kind of testing beforehand. However, if you are still concerned, there is no reason why a small amount of botox couldn't be injected prior to a full treatment. You just wouldn't have the cosmetic benefit from this treatment and it really is unnecessary. If you were going to have an allergic reaction you should have it from that small dose. It is important however to differentiate between adverse reaction and allergic reaction. There are other side effects or adverse reactions that you should be aware of, most all of which can be reduced or eliminated by going to an experienced injector. For this reason, I recommend that you seek out a qualified injector that you feel comfortable with. They can go over side effects and get you the best cosmetic result. Botox is a very safe treatment that can give you excellent results when in the right hands.

Reston Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Hypersensitivity

It is rare to have a hypersensitivity reaction to Botox.  You can have the product skin tested ahead of time if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Green

Hypersensitivity to Botox

Hypersensitivity to Botox and the other neurotoxins is very uncommon.  However, it is possible to do a "skin test" to determine if a person might have a reaction.  Historically, collagen products required a test dose prior to full treatment.   Though not very common, skin testing can also be done with Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  The risk of an allergic reaction to Botox is very small and if you never had it placed before it is unlikely to elicit a hypersensitivity response.  Its effectiveness or a possible complication is more dependent on the injector and their experience with administration.  Hope this helps. 

Hello Ghall76,

Having a true hypersensitivity reaction to Botox is essentially unheard of.  Also, if you have never had Botox, there is no way to have a hypersensitivity reaction to it (the body has to first be exposed to something before you can later have a reaction to it).  Now this is different than an adverse reaction such as having a droopy eyelid.  In the latter case adverse reactions develop because of the amount and location of injection.  

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who performs his or her own injections to go over what to expect with treatment.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hypersensitivity to Botox....

Thank you for your question.  Provocation testing is used for people with suspected allergies or hypersensitivity reactions to medications.  In order to have a true hypersensitivity reaction you would have to have been exposed to the element (in this case Botox) first.  If you have never been exposed to it you cannot have a hypersensitivity reaction or elucidate a positive outcome on a provocation test.   Please follow up with a board certified Dermatologist for further evaluation and management.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Risk of Allergic Reaction to Botox

The risk of allergic reaction to Botox is very low.  I personally have never seen a serious reaction to Botox with almost two decades of use.  You could consider Xeomin instead of Botox since Xeomin is a more purified product without some of the other ingredients that are in Botox.  However, the bottom line is that use of any of these products is elective and if you have concerns regarding safety or potential reactions, it might be best for you not to have these elective treatments done.  
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon