Dorsal hump removal, shaved down? Is there a difference? How much would be an estimated cost? (Photo)

Would I need anything else besides dorsal hump removal? I live in Anaheim California , and have always been self-conscious about my nose, it's ugly. And has cause me to gain scopophobia and bdd, am I a good candidate for just dorsal hump removal? How much would he the estimated cost be?

Can I just have my hump of my nose removed?

Many times you can have partial procedures done on your nose instead of a full rhinoplasty? The costs can vary from $3500 to 7500. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty good idea.

Dear jejeje1 in Anaheim:

Without any front view, it is hard to tell whether this would be helpful. If you nose is a little wide, that should be narrowed at the same time. It seems like you have a nice proportion between your nose and the lip. You should definitely consult and have your situation analyzed by a specialist.

Be sure to consult with those who do nearly all nose surgery. That increases the prospect for success of the operation and your happiness. You want to have computer imaging, of course, so you can see the predicted result of the surgery so that your comfortable with the surgeon’s plan. You would not buy a painting from an artist without seeing his work, right? Bring friends or family member with you to the consultation. It is always good to have extra eyes and ears. Prepare a list of written questions before you go so that all of your points are addressed and jot down the answers from the surgeon.

You want to do your homework by visiting a lot of websites of the nasal and cosmetic surgery super specialists. Look for a large gallery of before and after photos. Check out the patient reviews and testimonials on RealSelf and other helpful websites. If you do your homework properly, and that includes readings books, you stand a much better chance of being happy. The idea is to always avoid a revision rhinoplasty or even worse, revision rhinoplasties.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Robert Kotler, MD

Dorsal hump removal or shaving are the same thing.  You will likely need the nasal bones broken and narrowed at the same time.  Expect the total cost to be from $7000 to $9000.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty to shave down nasal hump

Because there is only one limited photo here, it's hard to make any concrete recommendations; however, the nasal hump can be taken down to achieve a straight profile.  The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek. 3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.  Cost will depend on the skill of your surgeon and what is needed to be done to achieve the result you are looking for.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Cost of Dorsal Nasal Hump Removal

The nasal hump can be removed but it is impossible to determine if anything else should be done to improve the rest of your "ugly' nose when you submit just one picture. Cost will depend on the amount of surgery that is necessary to give you a balanced result. I would consult with your therapist if you've been diagnosed with BDD.

Thank you for your question. A Rhinoplasty will be able to remove your dorsal hump. It will certainly work to reduce your discomfort with that part of your appearance. Other procedures to explore include a septoplasty, which improves the nasal and sinus function. The full extent of your desired process as well as the cost can be determined through a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and removing the hump is not difficult but whether that would be the only procedure recommended on your nose requires an examination aided by digital photography to show you how your nose might look following surgery.  So see some experts in your area who use this technique and offer complimentary consultations and be evaluated

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Rhinoplasty and BDD

You may be a great technical candidate for a rhinoplasty.

However, if you have BDD, you may not be a candidate at all for surgery.

Patients with BDD can have trouble adapting to the changes of surgery, can have unrealistic expectations, and can remain unsatisfied with their surgery no matter what the outcome.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Dear jejeje1, Yes you would be a candidate for dorsal hump reduction during rhinoplasty surgery. When the dorsal hump is removed it is often necessary to perform osteotomies to close the bones back together. You do not currently have a front view photograph so further expert opinion there would be based on an in person examination during consultation. I would suggest seeking consultation with some experts in the field of rhinoplasty. Since you are currently on realself you may want to look for local surgeons who have many reviews. Once you read the reviews if a large portion of those are regarding rhinoplasty surgery then the surgeon most likely denotes a large portion of his/her practice to this speciality. During consultation you can have digital imaging performed which will show you the proposed results. You will then have an opportunity to review before and after photographs to ensure the surgeon can attain the proposed results and performs natural looking rhinoplasty results. Once these steps are taken then you can make an informed decision regarding rhinoplasty surgery and your choice of surgeon. See an example in the video above of imaging and link below of before and after photographs. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty: Dorsal hump, one part of the whole nose.

Many rhinoplasty consultations start with a request to remove the dorsal (bridge) hump. 

Smoothing down a dorsal hump is a common part of rhinoplasty. Part of the bump is cartilage and part of it is bone. It can be reduced with a combination of techniques: osteotomies, rasping, or powered-instruments. Afterward the bridge is typically wider, flatter, and may have an open-roof. Additional rhinoplasty techniques are performed to contour and strengthen the nose. Removing the hump as an isolated procedure is rarely appropriate. And each patient's nose is different, requiring a different surgery. 

I sit down with my patients and review their photographs and educate them regarding the pre/post surgical anatomy. I like to use 3D imaging and simulation software to demonstrate the changes to the patient's nose. 3D imaging is not a predictor of exact outcome, but helps me communicate with my patients. They can tell me what they like and don't like before I pickup a scalpel. I find this to be a nice first step toward a safe and happy outcome. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon