What is this weird feeling after otoplasty?

Hi.I had otoplasty on my left ear one month ago.I was wearing a headband every night for one month and as much as possible during the day.As i said i was instructed to wear the headband for a month and now that i removed it i got this weird,numb,uncomfortable feeling on my ear.It feels tight.Could this be because the ear is relaxing and moving forward after the surgery?

Otoplasty/Pinnaplasty/Ear surgery

Many thanks for your question. Be reassured that at one month the sensations you are experiencing are common and take several months to settle as the swelling improves and things heal. Be sure though to see your surgeon for follow up and advice. All the best! Jonathan Adamthwaite

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Sensory changes after Otoplasty

you are experiencing normal postoperative sensory changes at 1 month after Otoplasy. These range from numbness and tingling to tightness and even mild discomfort. I would not worry about these sensations if the ear looks normal otherwise, and it can take months for these symptoms to normalize.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Altered sensation after otoplasty

Thank you for your question.  I can't say for certain without more information, but its very likely that your weird/uncomfortable sensation is simply soreness and some numbness from the surgery.  Normally, you can expect return of normal sensation eventually, but it may take several months to a year.  Surgery to the area causes inflammation to last several months (even if minor) and cuts microscopic nerves that also take months to a year to grow back.  Persistent altered sensation beyond a year (numbness, pain, etc) can happen, but is fairly rare.  Check in with your surgeon if this doesn't sound like what you are experiencing.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon