Headband after otoplasty?

I had an otoplasty one month ago.The doctor told me to wear a light headband for one month especially at night.Here i am now..one month after surgery and i was wondering should i wear the headband for a bit longer at night or will my ears be ok at this point and there is no danger of hurting them while i sleep. Also does the headband contributes to the ear's shape or is it just the surgery?Thank you.

Headband after Otoplasty

The purpose of the headband is to protect the ears from bending back or folding on the pillow while you sleep. The actual result of your otoplasty is from the surgery itself. Ask your surgeon if they want you to wear it longer than one month. The rate of your healing may effect the decision.

Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Protection after otoplasty

Dear whydoyouwantotnowmyname

• thank you for the question, for your last question first-  It is the Surgery  that shapes your ear.  The headband is more for protection and safety.
  • Just like any surgery you want to protect your ears from being hit or bent forward excessively for the first months after the Otoplasty. 
  • Wearing the headband at night is not a problem-- unless it is too tight and leaves starts to give you a rash or redness on the rim of the ears. 

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Headband after otoplasty?

Thank you for your question. The protocol each surgeon has can differ for otoplasty. Usually wearing the headband at night can last for 1-2 months after surgery. The headband helps protect the ear from trauma. If it is not bothersome to wear the headband, then I would encourage you to continue to wear it, but you should discuss this with your surgeon.