If I got a mesh put in my breast can I work out after the allotted rest period ?

I'm considering getting a mesh put in when I so my breast revision . I know their is a period of time that no activity is allowed to prevent bleeding and other complications, but once it's fully healed will I be able to do aerobics and run ?

Exercise after breast implant surgery

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon has slightly different post operative instructions and you should follow your surgeons instructions. Generally speaking you can resume exercise in 6 weeks. 

Breast implant revision

If you are using either a mesh like Seri or an ADM like strattise I would be careful about excessive activities for the first 6 weeks.  Your surgeon will certainly give you activities recommendations.  

Work out with Mesh in Breast

Consult with your surgeon about the types of activities that are acceptable post-surgery. It is important that you not engage in strenuous activities in the first three (2-3) weeks after surgery. My own personal recommendations to my patients are start walking as much as you want to, as soon as you want to. Then progress as desired tohigh-reps, low-resistance exercises. Slowly progress for6 weeks, after which time there are no restrictions. I advise my patients torefrain from strenuous physical activitysuch as heavy lifting with your arms or jogging for 6 weeks. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It is important that you follow your doctor's instructions so that you get the best aesthetic results.
#breastrevision #breastimplants

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Revisionary breast augmentation with biological mesh does require post-op activity restriction

Great question. After the biological mesh, Strattice, Seri scaffolding has revascularized (i.e. incorporated with the breast flap), usually within 6 weeks, you should be able to advance your activities. Most women who need this operation are motivated to accept the convalescence period in order to get the long term benefits.  Check with your PS, who is most qualified to set the timeline. 

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Mesh

Absolutely. Our goal is to get you back to normal activities as soon as is safely possible. I'm assuming that you are talking about mesh with an implant.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Excercise after breast revision

Mesh and dermal matrix products are used to stabilize the implant and minimize long-term complications.As a revision patient you have a higher chance of having another revision in the future and therefore would follow your board certified plastic surgeon’s instructions.Once cleared by your plastic surgeon, you will be able to run and exercise again.This can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on what procedure is performed.Good Luck.