Why Are Doctors Against Buccal Fat Pad Removal?

I have such fat round cheeks. All my life I have been made fun of. I had Vaser LIpo on my cheeks and I still feel i need buccal fat removal. I look like a bulldog. I have a very round face. Isn't buccal fat removal ok for some people? i feel i am one of them. i want a slim face. is that so bad?

Cheek (Buccal) Fat Pad Removal - Cautionary Tale

As we age we lose fat and volume from our faces and our face sags resulting in the familiar deflated, sagging facial aging familiar to all. Fat loss is particularly seen in the Cheek Fat Pad (of Bichat) which results in accentuation of the cheek, temple and side of the eye socket bones and a sick, malnourished appearance (compounded further by illness).

While there is room for performing a Bichat fat pad removal in extreme, "moon face" round faces, we do so knowing that these patients may also have accentuated bony faces later in life. In milder cases of accenuated facial fat pad presence the likelihood of a long-term substandard result is so great that we generally avoid doing this operation in most patients.

Buccal fat pad reduction

Thanks for your question.  I find buccal fat pad reduction to be a great procedure in the properly selected patient.  Fullness in the lower cheeks or "chipmunk cheeks" can be treated this way.  Liposuction or skin tightening technologies will not be the right choice when buccal fullness is apparent.  The buccal fat pad sits deeper in the cheek under muscle.  This is different from skin fat that can be liposuctioned. Proper diagnosis is important. Also, this fat pad may get smaller when we are elderly giving a hollow look in this area  This procedure is also not commonly performed so many surgeons may feel uncomfortable with it.  

I have many happy patients with this procedure.  Careful selection and counseling are key.  Results evolve nicely over a period of weeks to months. Please talk to an board certified surgeon experienced in buccal fat reduction to see if you are a candidate.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Buccal fat removal

Buccal fat removal can be a very good procedure in the right patient. The problem is that as you age this fullness of your cheeks may go down. Therefore, this procedure should only be performed in those people with true protrusion.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal fat pad removal

Some people are candidates for this procedure.  It should be done only in carefully selected patients to avoid creasting facial deformities.  Perhaps, what you are really hearing is that you are not a candidate, and perhaps you should hear that.

Problems with buccal fat removal

There are 2 problems with buccal fat removal and they are that the short term results are not very dramatic and the long term loss of facial fat and volume can leave you gaunt looking if you had buccal fat removal when you were younger.

Must be conservative with buccal fat pad removal

Doctors aren't against buccal fat pad removal but the resection must leave some fat behind so that the cheeks don't look gaunt as the person ages.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Buccal Fat Removal

Buccal fat removal, in the right candidate, can really slim down the face.  It needs to be performed judiciously though to avoid taking out too much and giving a gaunt appearance, which is usually not flattering.  Please consult with a board certified specialist in the face who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as a useful communication tool with your surgeon. 

Kimberly Lee, MD

Buccal fat extraction

This is not  a well know procedure and not all sugeons offer this treatment.  The procedure is generally performed by facial plastic surgoens, oral surgeons and plastic surgeons. The results of the procedure are not completely predictable. It must be performed on suitable candidates or it can produce irreversable hollowing of the cheeks.  When this procedure is carried out on the right patient it can produce signficant improvement in facial contour.  One must be evaluated to assess if they are a suitable candidate.  Other procedures that can enhance facial contour include chin implantation, botox to masseter muscle, and jaw angle surgery.

Philip Solomon, MD, FRCS
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal fat removal.

I agree totally with what Dr. Rand said. Patients are almost always unhappy with the poor results achieved.

BUCCAL FAT

The main issue is that as plastic surgeons we are always combating fat loss and fat decent in the face. One of my favorite procedures is fat transfer to the face. That is because it really gives people a rejuvenated look. It replaces the lost and augments the fat that has fallen. 

So why then would we ever remove fat? Well some people, probably because of genetics, have a full and proportionately prominent buccal fat pad. So this disproportionate area of fat makes the other areas of the face aged even more. 

All that being said, not everyone is a candidate for buccal fat pad removal. I am critical of the patients I select. Often times fat transfer in conjunction with this procedure is able to give a more “ideal” heart shaped face. This can make a big difference in patients as a combo. It may seem counter intuitive to add fat when you say your problem is fat cheeks. What we do is add fat around the cheeks to the side of the highest and most projected point of the cheek bone and taper it to the lower face. This helps to camouflage overly chubby cheeks.  This is especially helpful in thin women and in combination with buccal fat pad removal is a powerful maneuver. All of this can be done in clinic with some calming medications and local anesthesia.

I recommend getting a consult with a surgeon who does this procedure frequently to get a full facial analysis to make sure your specific goals are addressed.

In the facebook video below we describe out treatment process.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon