Can adding patient's own fresh blood to the centrifuged fat increase the chances of more fat survival?
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 5
Fat transfer with blood
Adding Patient's Blood to fat grafting?
Fat transfer and PRP
- The consensus studies do NOT demonstrate additional survival of fat cells when purified blood (PRP) is added to them
- The PRP (platelet rich plasma) consists of healing factors which are used to speed up the healing process
- It works for open wounds, after laser treatments, but it has not been proven for fat transfers...yet
- That being said, it should not hurt the results, but I do not think they help
- In choosing a surgeon, you should find one whose results you like and a bedside manner you get along with
You might also like...
There is currently no consensus that PRP has a beneficial effect on fat survival. There are anecdotal reports both ways.
Our practice did try out a few cases with PRP and felt it did not add any benefit, so we decided that it was not worth the cost to the patient. Admittedly, our results are anecdotal as well.
It certainly is unlikely to hurt, and if the added cost is no issue, you could consider it.
Adding PRP to your harvested fat may improve its survival.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.