Flying After Breast Implants Revision

How long until I can take a 2 1/2 hour flight after breast augmentation revision? I am traveling to Florida to have my breasts re-done and wondering when it is safe for me to take the 2 1/2 hour flight back home.

Flying after surgery

Wait at least a few days to fly after surgery.  There are two basic issues:

1. Sitting still in one place for several hours increases your risk of a blood clot in your leg.  Therefore, you must try to get an aisle seat and must get up and walk, ideally every hour.  When you are seated, you must pump your feet up and down intermittently (as if you are riding a bike).

2. You should not be lifting a suitcase for at least the first couple weeks after most cosmetic surgeries. Having a friend or family member accompany you will be very helpful.

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Flying after Surgery

I advise my patients to wait minimum 10 days, ideally 2 weeks, following surgery to fly.  Consult your board certified plastic surgeon on what his or her exact preference is!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Flying Post Breast Revision Surgery

Each surgeon has their own protocol for flying post procedure and it is best to inquire about this with the surgeon who is performing your procedure. Typically, patients are able to fly within 1 week of surgery but there are a variety of factors that can impact that timeframe. It is generally advised to get up and walk at least once every hour when flying post surgery.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Flying After Breast Implants Revision

Hello!  Thank you for your question.  Our practice has patients travel from afar. Opinions on travel following a surgical procedure will differ amongst surgeons, and is best to discuss this with your surgeon. In our practice, we ask that you plan to stay for 2-3 days to observe and evaluate the surgical areas as well as your readiness for travel. Depending on which procedure you have, up to a week may be necessary. For your procedure, a couple days would be adequate.

Ensuring adequate oral intake and mobility is a must and proper postoperative care of the surgical sites and incisions is prudent.  An evaluation postoperatively as well as prior to departure is usually done to make sure that all is well for your travel back. Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Flying after Breast Revision Surgery

I think it would be safe for you to fly 2.5 hours within two days after your surgery.  The main concern would be clot formation in the veins of your legs. I would recommend you get up and walk around every 30-45 minutes during the flight.  As a retired flight surgeon for the U.S.military, I will share with you that commercial airlines have pressurized cabins which will have no affect on your breast implants.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Flying after breast augmentation

Assuming all goes well I tell patients that they can fly one week after surgery.  That's mainly because I want to see them at a week and before they travel (get stitches out, etc).  Depending on what you have done it may be completely reasonable to fly after just a few days.  Due to the risk of blood clot while sitting for long periods of time post-operatively I would definitely get up and walk around several times during a flight of that duration, and would be working my leg/foot muscles while sitting in the seat every 10-15 minutes.

James E. Chappell, MD
Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

When to fly after surgery

I usually have people wait 1-2 weeks but you could theoretically fly one minute after surgery, there's nothing magic about it.  Concerns are really normal post op complications that would be difficult to handle far away, inactivity on a plane (which might cause a life threatening blood clot) and possible heavy lifting/straining that might not happen if you were home in my opinion.  

Matthew H. Conrad, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Traveling after Implant Revision

I ask that my patients stay around for at least the first week after surgery.  This provides me a chance to make sure any pain or discomfort is controlled and I can see them in my office for their first post op check.  If everything looks good then I usually have no problem with them flying at that point.  Of course I would need to see that patient back for future follow up visits, but that can be more flexible depending on the patient's travel situation.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Flying after Breast Implant Revision

Thanks for your question.You should have this discussion with your surgeon because every doctor has their own protocol.For breast surgery, I suggest my patients stay at least 2-3 days(a week, if possible).For revisional surgery there may be drains placed, in which case you would have to stay longer until the drains are removed.This tends to happen in just under 2 weeks.I hope this answers your question.Best of luck with your procedure.

Eugene Kim, MD

Flying home after breast revision.

You should ask your surgeon for advice as some revisions are very simple and others are more complex and could have a higher increase risk for bleeding or more pain following surgery. You might also have drains, sutures, or dressings that might need early follow up.
Have a back up plan if you are not ready to leave as scheduled, have someone help with bags and transportation, and also pick out a local surgeon who can help you with emergencies should something happen after you are home. Your flight is relatively short, but those with long travel times need to be careful of developing blood clots and could consider a medication decrease risk.
Sometimes when you change altitude you may notice a squeaky sensation around your implants. It can feel weird and cause unnecessary alarm if you are not expecting it.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon