Is Botox good for firming and lifting skin? I'm 36 year old ,but my eyelids and skin already sagging!

The effect of Botox, more than just lifting...bot not always enough

Hi there, I love when this question gets asked as I am someone who actually does research into this area. Although I agree with the majority of the points made by others here, i do disagree in some respects. 

Botox is a medication that has the primary effect of stopping your muscles from moving. This is why after you get it, you have trouble moving parts of  your face. If done properly and into the correct muscles, it can soften wrinkles and even prevent them from forming. 

Someone young like you, if you had botox between your eyes as well as on the sides of your eyes you may get a 'lift' that elevates your eye brows and helps reduce some of the extra skin. Its not always perfect, but certainly a treatment to try as it is very safe. 

Now, i have conducted research looking into the effect of botox on skin elasticity and we now know that botox may actually be doing more than simply effecting muscles. interestingly, if you were to put cells that are responsible for the collagen and elastin in your skin in botox, they actually produce more of these youthfull skin products. This is one reason why people who get botox between their eyes often notice the wrinkles fade. Their skin is more elastic and youthfull.  I must be clear, that botox does not "tighten" skin in the way you hope. 

One option for this is using a treatment called Radiofrequency skin tightening, this may help with saggy skin. But please, talk and get assessed by a trained physician. 

Hopefully this is usefull and interesting. 

Dr James P. Bonaparte
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox eyelid lift

Botox is designed for wrinkles caused by muscle contractions, and it can create a slight lift for the brow area. However, it needs to be performed by someone who has experience in doing this.

BOTOX® can’t help with sagging skin.

BOTOX® is best for improving the look of dynamic wrinkles, which are the wrinkles that result from repeated muscle movements that occur during everyday facial expressions. Examples of dynamic wrinkles include the crow’s feet that appear around the outer corners of the eyes when smiling, or the vertical frown lines where your eyebrows meet over the nose.
However, sagging skin is caused by a weakening in connective tissues and decline in collagen within the skin, both of which compromise the supportive integrity that keeps skin firm and full. Schedule a consultation and physical exam with a cosmetic surgeon to see which of the issues you’re experiencing can be addressed with med spa treatments, and which may need a more advanced procedure like eyelid surgery to correct.

Botox is a wonderful product to treat dynamic wrinkles of the face and neck. However, it is not meant to help with sagging skin.  For someone who is 36, I would recommend Ulthera as a non invasive method of tightening skin and muscle.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

With good technique Botox can be used to add a slight lift to eyelids / brows.

With good technique Botox can be used to add a slight lift to eyelids /  brows. An in person assessment is required to make an accurate assessment. In some cases an upper lid blepharoplasty is the best solution. 

Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is able to recommend all surgical and non- surgical treatments specific to your aging process.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Is Botox good for firming and lifting skin?

As we age, we sag, shrink, and shrivel.  Sagging is best corrected with surgery to re-drape the skin and soft tissue.  Shrinking is best corrected with fillers and other means of volume correction.  Shriveling is best corrected by skin resurfacing procedures (for static wrinkles) and/or Botox/ Xeomin/ Dysport (for dynamic wrinkles).
Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport relax muscles that cause wrinkles.  Because of this, Botox has a "smoothing" effect on the skin, but it does not firm or lift the skin per se.  If injected into certain areas around the brow by experienced physicians, you can get some minor lifting of the brow, but certainly you won't get surgical results with Botox.  Skin resurfacing procedures or non-surgical radiofrequency machines are best for "firming" the skin.  Surgery is best for lifting and re-draping the skin.  I hope this helps, and I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Firming eyelid skin

Firming the eyelid skin requires collagen building, which can be stimulated by energy based devices. These include fractionated lasers (i.e. Fraxel dual, CO2), radiofrequency (I.e. Thermage), and ultrasound (i.e. Ultherapy). Botox prevents the wrinkles that form with facial expressions, but does not stimulate much collagen. Visit a board certifies dermatologist to see which treatment fits best with your ability to take down time, expectations, and budget.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon

While botox is a miracle product, it

won't lift sagging skin...botox may actually end up making the skin worse in this regard...especially with reference to the outer portion of the eyelids...
but lots of procedures can correct or at least help with this issue...see your doctor to discuss what's right for you

Ken Landow, MD

Does Botox firm and lift skin

Botox does not firm and lift skin. Botox inhibits muscle tension so it stops lines and wrinkles from forming. In this way, it smooths the skin. But it does not tighten or firm. It can help lift eyebrows a bit, but if you have significant ptosis (eyelid drooping) it is probably not enough.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Does Botox firm and lift skin?

Botox weakens muscles and thereby smooths the skin but it will not firm and lift the skin. Thank you for your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD