IVIG and Botox/Dermal Fillers? Will this have any impact on the fillers i periodically receive?

I receive monthly IVIG infusions for an autoimmune disease. Can anyone tell me if this will have any impact on the Botox/Xeomin or dermal fillers I periodically receive (for instance, might these products not being as long lasting with the IVIG)?

ImmunoGlobulins, Antibodies, Botox and Fillers

Hi Kingston1622:

Interesting question!

HA (hyaluronic gel fillers) are broken down by an enzyme called hyaluronidase. There is the rare possibility of antibody production which would make their duration shorter but a allergic reaction is more of a concern but rare as I said.

Regarding the muscle relaxers: Botox, Dysport and Xeomin. While in the watery tissues between cells, enzymes break them down too and antibody production would reduce their duration but allergic reaction would be more of a concern and this too is rare.

Receiving IVIG for your specific autoimmune disease probably has little effect on the duration of either fillers or muscle relaxers.

For a more specific answer, please contact the Consumer Affairs Division of any of the Muscle Relaxer or Filler companies. These would be: Allergan, Galderma and Merz.

All the best to you!

Increased Soft Tissue Filler Metabolism/Breakdown

For the vast majority of patients, the expected lifespan for dermal fillers (Restylane, Perlane, Juvéderm, Radiesse, and others) may range from between 6 months to some time greater than 12 months. This would depend upon the individual patient, the product used, and the location the product is placed (both the anatomic location of the face, as well as the depth of product placement), and the quantity of material injected (if “full correction” is provided, or not).

There are a small number of patients that do not experience this type of product duration. In my experience these patients tend to be thin patients who smoke, or who are very physically active; but there are others that fall outside these characteristics.

Your altered immune function may certainly affect the longevity of the filler you have received. You would have to try out different products to see whether or not you would experience different results. Generally, all of the hyaluronic acid fillers would likely behave in a similar fashion. Radiesse may behave slightly differently because it is composed of a calcium phosphate microsphere.

If you find that your fillers break down very quickly, and you are not seeing the results you desire, then consideration could be given to using autologous fat grafts, or a permanent filler such as Artefill. Sculptra may be another option for you, but that relies on collagen production, and I suspect that process may be altered for you as well.

You should discuss your concerns with a board-certified plastic surgeon that has experience using all of these filler modalities, so that consideration can be given to using the treatment that would work best for you.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

IVIG should not effect your injectables

As far as I know, there have been no studies on the effects of IVIG on fillers, so I can't definitively say that the injections won't effect their longevity or effectiveness, but it certainly seems very unlikely that the IVIG would impact your results in a negative way. I would have to assume that your result would very similar to someone that doesn't get IVIG.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon