Recommendations for Correcting Long Upper Lip?

Any suggestions? I do not like the symmetry of my face

How to treat long upper lip, thin lip using Lip Augmentation

+1

From your photo, your upper lip is very thin which makes the distance between the upper lip and nose appear overly long.  IMHO, your upper lip should be raised but rather your upper lip should be filled increasing the volume significantly.  You might consider an Alloderm or silastic lip implant.

You can do surgery for the upper lip and you can also do BOTOX injections

+1

You can do surgery for the upper lip and you can also do BOTOX injections. Sometimes you can make the lip look more symmetrical with very small amounts of BOTOX. But, it really depends on how the patient looks and the skill of the injector.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip Lift Surgery for a Long Upper Lip

+1

The only procedure to reduce the length of the upper lip is a lip lift.  Be sure to be evaluated by a surgeon who has experience with this procedure as results can vary, as can scarring. Below is a link with photos of lip augmentation and lip lift surgery.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

The "LipLift" Procedure

+1

After reviewing your photos, I feel you are a very good candidate for a lip lift procedure. The lip lift will address two concerns from your picture. One, it will decrease the length of your upper lip, something you inquired about. Secondly, your upper lip appears to be small. A lip lift will provide for more "roll" to the red portion of the upper lip which would allow the lip to appear fuller. The subnasal incision is an option where the incision is placed in the crease just below the nostrils, along the lower border of the nose.  When placed in the proper anatomic creases, this incision can heal very nicely. Also, an incision can be made at the red/white border of the lip where the "red" portion of the lip meets the "white" skin of the upper lip.  An added benefit to this incision is that it also provides for better "roll" to the red upper lip, allowing the lip to appear fuller, while providing a better target for cosmetics. This incision also heals quite nicely when placed exactly at the red/white junction, although the incision can be camouflaged with lipstick during the healing process. Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subnasal lip lift

+1

The subnasal lip lift is the best way to shorten the distance from the bottom of the nose and the red border of the upper lip. I have rarely seen an unsatisfactory scar from this operation.

You state that you do not like your facial symmetry . I presume you mean you would like it to be perfectly symmetrical.  Attempts to achieve perfect facial symmetry are often unsuccessful . However, if the asymmetry is due to one particular area, improvement can often be achieved. .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting the long upper lip,

+1

Skin removal is the only way to do this. Either a scar under the nostrils or along the lip line--both leave a scar, so be careful before doing this.

Shortening The Long Upper Lip Can Be Done Two Different Ways

+1

Correction of a long upper lip requires skin removal. Whether it is done at the base of the nose (subnasal lip lift) or just above the cupid's bow (vermilion advancement) is a matter of scar location and preference and how thin the lip is from  side to side. A subnasal lip lift shortens the upper lip, creates more of a central pout but does not improve the thickness of the sides of the lip and tucks the scar into the crease between the nose and the lip. A vermilion advancement shortens the upper lip, changes the thickness of the vermilion from one corner to the other but has a more 'visible' scar line at the junction of the pink part of the upper lip and the skin. Both types of lip lifts can be very effective and one has to weigh their advantages and disadvantages when choosing between the two options. Usually it comes down to scar location as the deciding factor. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD