Had Smas Added to my Lips 4 Weeks Ago and I Can't Smile Much, Can It Be Removed

Removing SMAS tissue used for Lip Augmentation

+1

SMAS is a tissue fascial layer in the face.  I doubt this tissue would be able to be removed intact as it has most likely already undergone some absorption and scar formation.  I prefer to use Alloderm Lip Implants for a more predictable Lip Augmentation.  Ask the Surgeon who placed the SMAS tissue, in your lip, if you can gently massage the lips to make them softer...than I'd have Alloderm placed for a long lasting augmentation that's soft and supple.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Your-Number-The-Palmer-Code/53723954087

SMAS lip augmentation can be removed with difficulty soon after a procedure

+1

SMAS lip augmentation can be removed with difficulty soon after a procedure. Usually the implant softens with time.

Chicago Dermatologist

Removing a SMAS graft from the lips

+1

I used to use SMAS grafts for lip augmentation.  Early on, they can be quite swollen, which may make movement difficult.  While it is possible for them to be removed if they haven't yet healed in place, it can be difficult.  For now, since it's so early post-op, I'd recommend doing some massaging and stretching exercises of the lip.  

Hang in there!

Removing SMAS from lips

+1

While it may be frustrating not to be able to smile, it may be due to swelling or bruised nerves rather than the SMAS. It would be best to see your plastic surgeon to discuss more.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.