Can I Get CoolSculpting After Tummy Tuck?

I recently had a tummy tuck (7 weeks ago) but I have been left with an overhang in the front portion of my lower abdodomen that bulges past my incision. Obviously there is still swelling, but there appears to be excess fat and perhaps remaining loose skin as well. Before doing any revisions I would like to get cool sculpting of the area to see what happens with the reduction of fat. When can I get this?

Tummy tuck and further liposuction

+2

It sounds like you've had an abdominoplasty and have residual excess skin and fat above your incision.  We all love to have immediate optimal results.  However, seven weeks is unfortunately too early to see any resemblance of your final results.  I would wait, at minimum, 6 months prior to embarking upon any further procedures.  I would also visit your plastic surgeon in the interim.  The policy regarding revisions varies per practice.  At times, it is free of charge.  Thus, you may save time, money, and dissatisfaction by giving this issue a bit more time to resolve.  However, if you have definitively decided you would like to procede with CoolScultping, it would be best pursued in at least 6 months.  The reason it would be unwise to perform this sooner is that residual swelling from the abdominoplasty would make it nearly impossible to give you a smooth, even contour following this procedure. 

Tummy tuck and liposuction or CoolSculpting

+1

There certainly can be swelling two months after an abdominoplasty.  You need time to heal before considering other treatment.  Some surgeons prefer not to do liposuction and the same time as an abdominoplasty and defer the liposuction until after the tummy tuck.  If there is a minimal bulge, of just fat, six months from the procedure, then either a small liposuction or series of CoolSculpting procedures might be done. Please see your surgeon for follow-up.

Ronald Shelton, MD

CoolSculpting after Tummy Tucks

+1

CoolSculpting after Tummy Tucks (Abdominoplasty) has been very successful in my plastic surgery practice and  due to the inability to utilize liposuction in the upper and lower portions during surgery.  I the past I was only able to offer traditional liposuction at about 6 months to 1 year post op to provide additional contouring.  The addition to CoolSculpting to my practice has changed that.  Wait at least 6 months or until the upper or lower abdominal skin can be easily pinched to allow an optimal result.

Lawrence W. Shaw, MD
Arizona Plastic Surgeon

Cool sculpting after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes,  cool sculpting may be beneficial to treat isolated adipose tissue collection after tummy tuck surgery. However, it would be in your best interest to wait at least 6 months ( preferably one year)  before contemplating any further surgical or nonsurgical treatment. You may be pleasantly surprised that you are pleased with the results of the tummy tuck surgery without any further  intervention.

Zeltiq CoolSculpting after Surgery

+1

Zeltiq could possibly be an option for you if you have persistent stubborn fat pockets, however,  Zeltiq will NOT address loose skin.  I advise you to wait at least 6 months after your surgery to see a more definitive end result and be sure to discus your concerns with your Surgeon.  Your abdomen is still healing and it will take time for everything to settle into place and for swelling to resolve.  You should not have CoolSculpting done until you are fully healed.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Zeltiq Coolsculpting after tummy tuck

+1

Zeltiq can be used after tummy tuck or liposuction to touch-up areas of persistent fullness. In general, you should wait 3-6 months after these procedures to arrive at your end result to see if Coolsculpting will be necessary. It is not yet clear whether the efficacy of Zeltiq will be affected by the prior procedures because of scar tissue or other issues. Thanks for your question.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting after tummy tuck is fine.

+1

I can speak to this from personal experience. I had a tummy tuck 10 years ago (after 4 kids the body just does not bounce back for everyone).  There were pockets of fat on my upper abdomen that bothered me. I had Coolsculpting on those areas and the results are just what I needed, spot reduction of fat that could not be dieted away.  Of course, the surgery must be completely healed (several months) before contemplating a " touch up" procedure like Coolsculpting.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting after tummy tuck

+1

I would not recommend that you undergo any corrective procedures until at least six months after your tummy tuck. Regardless, I would not perform Coolsculpting as a answer to your current problem. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon