Can Coolsculpting Be Used on Fat Above the Knee?

Hey there - I am 5 foot 5 and weigh about 115 lbs. No matter how low my weight goes, I can never get rid of the fat located right above my knees. Can Coolsculpting be used on that part of the body effectively at this time?

CoolSculpting at knees?

+1
Unfortunately, the applicators that are utilized with the machine do not fit this area and therefore cannot treat the area above the knees. You may consider liposuction to the area, although it is more invasive. Your doctor should be able to advise you as to which alternative treatment would be recommended for your area of concern.

CoolSculpting

+1

CoolSculpting is FDA-cleared for the flanks (love handles) and abdomen and is proven to be a safe and effective treatment. Unfortunately, at this time it is not approved for fat above the knee. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Coolsculpting for fat around the knees

+1
There currently is no applicator to treat the fat in the arms or the knees. If the problem is loose skin then Thermage may work well for you to tighten this area. Thermage would be the best non-surgical alternative since it treats the sagging skin through radio frequency heat and no pain and no down time. I hav seen patients get liposuction and the loose skin afterwards looks worse than the fat. I am currently trying to fix these patients with Thermage.

Michele S. Green, MD

Fat above the knee and CoolSculpting

+1

Currently there is no applicator that will fit that area well.  It is an area that liposuction has helped some and in others it can make more of a shelf if the skin sags further down after the fat removal.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Cool sculpting Knee Fat?

+1

Whether you will be a good candidate for the cool sculpting  technology will depend on if the area of concern will fit into the suction “cup” of the cool sculpting machine. If so you may have a reasonable result ( 20% reduction) with the treatment.

Otherwise, you may be an excellent candidate for liposuction of that area.

CoolSculpting by Zeltiq for Fat Around Knee

+1

Unfortunately at this time CoolSculpting is not ideal for the knee area.   The limitation of this technique is that the machine needs to have a suction appliance that contours exactly to the body area to be cooled.   Presently the device is optimal for the abdomen and the love handle areas.   It is likely that in the future,  the company will develop devices for other areas such as the arms and the knees.   Stay tuned and in the meantime,  standard liposuction to your knee area is very effective.

Carlin Vickery, MD

CoolSculpting works on knee fat

+1

Here at Marina Plastic Surgery, we have successively treated above the knee with CoolSculpting before.  You have to be an ideal candidate and we have to be able to get the applicator to hold onto this region.  If you have the handpiece in the proper position you can achieve consistent results like all the other body regions.  I recommend that you have a consultation with a CoolSculpting provider and they will be able to tell you if you would be an ideal candidate for this procedure. Good luck! :)  

Grant Stevens, MD

Thigh fat is difficult to treat with Zeltiq

+1

I've found it nearly impossible to treat medial knee and medial thigh fat with Zeltiq. The treatment head is not designed for these areas. It works great for abdomen, flanks, dorsal rolls etc- assuming you are an appropriate candidate. On the other hand, liposuction using small cannulae works exceedingly well in this region.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting for fat above knees

+1

Coolsculpting works great for removing fat and typically reduces 20% with one one hour treatment. Treating the legs may be less consistent but should work and should be assessed by an experienced Coolscultping dermatologist and one that can adequately assess your likelihood of results and risks.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon