How long do I have to wait until dissolving lip filler with hyaluronidase after injections? (photos)

I got lip fillers three days ago and look absolutely horrendous. My lips are uneven, look completely fake and just terrible. I want to cry. I can't go outside like this or meet friends. How long do I have to wait until I can get the filler dissolved?

When to use hyaluronidase when filler is excessive?

Unfortunately in spite of attempts to achieve beautiful meticulous results using injectable fillers, sometimes excessive or uneven responses occur. Many fillers create unwanted swelling (big lips for example) and usually this settles down within a week. Sometimes a second week will be necessary. When excessive fullness, or ‘bluish color’ or uneven results persist and an “HA” filler has been used, this can be reversed using a dissolving enzyme such as hyaluronidase. This may require more than one session. One then starts from the beginning since the filler is now gone. 

Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long do I have to wait until dissolving filler with hyaluronidase

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your lip augmentation results are not what you anticipated.  Due to the thin nature of the tissues of the lip they are predisposed to significant swelling.  You did not mention how much filler material you had placed but I would allow your results at least 2 and up to 4 weeks to fully mature before electing to pursue hyaluronidase.  Best wishes!

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

If you would like to reverse the fillers I suggest waiting 2-3 weeks to do so, swelling takes that long to resolve.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Final Result After Lip Augmentation/Use of Hyaluronidase

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry to hear that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  I would suggest giving it a full 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  In general, any unwanted filler can be easily removed with hyaluronidase.  Best wishes!

Hyaluronidase and timing

I would wait two weeks from the injection to let the product settle in.  If after two weeks you are still unhappy I would dissolve with Vitrase.  Best, Dr. Green

Improving on Fake-Lip Look

It's been two weeks, so hopefully things have improved. If you have not already taken action, you may consider waiting it out another 1-2 weeks before having hyaluronidase injected. Hyaluronidase injection(s) will dissolve the filler if it's a hyaluronic acid filler (Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, etc.), so be prepared for everything to go back to your baseline look.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician