Would liposuction flatten my stomach? (Photo)

I am debating the option of liposuction and a tummy tuck. I really don't mind the stretch marks and a bit of extra skin on my stomach area. What I would like to know if it is possible to have a flatten stomach with just liposuction?

Flat tummy and liposuction

Liposuction removes the fat under the skin. If you are overweight you will also have fat under the muscles, inside the abdomen. This fat can be reduced by weight loss only. Having toned abdominal muscles, by exercising, will also help. Flabby muscles will not give you a flat tummy. So liposuction alone will achieve a flat stomach if you are at or close to your ideal body weight and you have good abdominal muscle tone. You may not have much loose skin after the procedure if your skin has good elasticity. However, if your goal is to wear a bikini, you may consider a tummy tuck, which includes liposuction, removal of excess skin, and tightening of muscles, if needed.

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Would liposuction flatten my stomach?

Based on your photo alone liposuction alone would yes remove the fat however it would leave you with loose skin. I would recommend a tummy tuck. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 
Regards 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction or tummy tuck?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction or tummy tuck.
  • You truly need an examination and discussion before making a decision.
  • Your photo suggests that liposuction will reduce some of the stomach bulk
  • But that it will not give you a flat stomach and will give you more loose skin.
  • That said, some women prefer this to a tummy tuck.
  • So find a plastic surgeon near you, have a consultation and discuss the benefits and disadvantages of both options.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Would liposuction flatten my stomach?

You would need an in person consultation for the best answer, but it appears that you would benefit the most from a tummy tuck with liposuction. I know you mentioned that you don't really mind the loose skin, but liposuction alone will only make it worse. Also, it appears that you have some muscle separation that would need to be addressed during a tummy tuck. Otherwise you would still have the rounded look.  

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting with or without Tummy Tuck

This type of stomach requires a tummy tuck and liposuction to get a real full body contouring result. Liposuction alone will not give you the results you are looking for because you already have loose skin.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Candidate for liposuction

It would appear that you are a reasonable candidate for liposuction. Here is some helpful information about Lipostuction: If you have excessive subcutaneous fat, which is resistant to diet and exercise.
If you wish to change the contours of your body. Commonly involved areas are the anterior part of the neck (under the chin), upper arms and armpits, male chest/breasts, trunk abdomen, waist, hips, thighs, inner knees, calves, and ankles.
Most patients are near normal weight and desire permanent contour changes. Patients with average weight, localized fat collections, and healthy elastic skin are the best candidates for liposuction. Obesity, cellulite, or loose, sagging, and inelastic skin are several conditions which may tend towards less desirable results. In fact, these problems may be worsened by liposuction. Unfortunately, many individuals performing liposuction are not trained in other techniques of body contouring and may not have the experience to recognize that a different procedure (such as a tummy tuck) may provide a better result for the patient. Suction Assisted Lipectomy (SAL) may be used in conjunction with other body contouring procedures, such as breast reduction, tummy tuck, thigh lift, or facelift.

Would liposuction flatten my stomach?

From your photo it appears that you have several options depending upon how complete a change you desire and how much or little scarring you are willing to accept.  Liposuction will diminish the fatty thickness of your stomach skin but neither tighten your muscles or reduce skin.  This may please you and be adequate however on the other hand you may wish to undergo a tummy tuck for muscle tightening and removal of 5-7 inches of skin.  Of course, weight loss would also be of assistance.Please watch the video link above for helpful information and best wishes. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Would liposuction flatten my stomach

Thank you for your question. Only liposuction will decease fat and leave extra skin. You may be disappointed. Doing both TT and lipo will give optimal results. Other option is Lipo now and wait 6 months and if you are not happy then go for TT. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Would liposuction flatten my stomach?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Liposuction can be used to remove excess fatty tissue from beneath your abdominal skin but based on the amount of stretch marks your stomach has it will be unable to shrink down to leave a tight appearance.   You will end up with a smaller stomach but one with loose, sagging skin.  The best procedure to maximize your result would be a full tummy tuck but this does come at the cost of an incision.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD