Does GHI UFT cover the cost of blepharoplasty surgery? (Photo)

I would like to do blefaroplasty surgery . I am 48. Is my medical insurance covers the cost of it. I have GHI UFT. I have dark circles and bags under my eyes. I am single mom . Can not afford it the cost of the surgery

Thank you for your question. You should discuss this topic with facial plastic surgery offices in your local area. The insurance coverage typically depends on the insurance providers. There is a distinction between cosmetic surgery that is based out of a desire to improve appearance and a surgery out of a necessity for correcting a health issue.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

GHI UFT is one of the more affordable options for health insurance with the United Federation of Teachers.

However, it is not going to cover your eyelid surgery because what you need is cosmetic surgery.  If you find someone who is willing to accept this, they are agreeing to commit healthcare fraud.  I suspect that it will be hard to get a great surgical result from someone who is so willing to cut corners.  You have a fairly complicated eyelid situation with upper eyelid ptosis and a compensatory eyebrow position and a large under eye hollow.  I recommend seeking several options from aesthetically oriented eyelid plastic surgeons and so who makes sense.

Blepharoplasty and insurance

Most insurance will cover upper lid bleph if your skin hangs enough too block at least 25% of your peripheral vision. From your photos I doubt yours is blocked much if any. I have never seen any insurance cover bag removals from the lower lid, it is a not medically necessary so is a cosmetic procedure. Most plastic surgeons work with financing plans such as Carecredit, and maybe be able to help you have your surgery and pay over time. Good luck.

Upper and Lower Lid Surgery

Hi inettayusupov,
Thanks for your question and photos. This is a common question that we get from patients. The answer depends on your insurance and unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with GHI UFT. However, I can tell you that most insurance companies will pay for an upper lid blepharoplasty if you can document that it is affecting the peripheral vision (in photos and visual field tests) and the skin is overhanging the lashes. Insurance companies rarely, if ever, cover lower lid blepharoplasty surgery. 

Good luck!