Can buccal fat be removed and used to inject onto the cheeks?

I was wondering whether you would ever do buccal fat removal and then use that fat to inject onto the cheeks, or what your thoughts are about such a procedure, the dangers if any.

I would not recommend this. Fat injections require fat harvesting with a liposuction cannula which creates very small lobules of fat that can then be smoothly reinjected. Buccal fat is typically removed en bloc as a fairly large fat pad. It's impossible in my experience to safely liposuction this fat pad and then re inject the fat. It is very straight forward to harvest the fat from below the belly button or thighs and reinject in the cheeks. It's always better to do things the right way and not cut corners when in doubt. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal fat not used for fat transfer

Thanks for sharing.  Buccal fat is not used in the fat transfer process from my experience.  The fat pad is removed through the mouth and will be considered "contaminated" and therefore should not be used for fat transfer.  Sometimes buccal fat can be removed from a facelift approach.  In this case the fat will be "clean" and would be the only situation that the fat could be used.  In general fat is usually taken sterilely from the abdominal area for use in fat transfer. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Can buccal fat be removed and used to inject onto the cheeks? = Not recommended #fb #buccalfatpad #fattrasnfer #drmesa

Fat removed in a buccal fat pad removal should not be used to inject into other areas of the face like cheeks due to the risk of infection.

The mouth is a cavity that has normal bacterial contamination (oral flora) that could cause severe light threatening infections if transplanted to a different area. Since the buccal fat is removed through the mouth, it automatically gets contaminated with oral flora ( bacteria) which can cause severe infection if injected into the cheeks.

Fat transfer to the cheeks should be sterile/ clean fat harvested from body areas different to the mouth in an sterile fashion.

John Mesa, MD