New crown hurts to bite, feels too big and floss gets stuck under it?

I previously had a root canal and crown placement about 5 years ago. My crown broke and so I had a new one placed. It feels too wide, hurts on one area of the tooth when I bite, and when I floss, the floss goes almost all the way under the crown and then rips in half. I went back to my dentist file it down but it still feels terrible and very unnatural. I'm concerned that filing down too much will weaken the crown and that I likely need a new crown made. Please advise.

New crown hurts...#DrSoftTouch

It's difficult to give advice without seeing an x-ray and doing an exam. I would recommend returning to your dentist to discuss your concerns. He/she can double check your bite to determine if the crown needs adjusting. Even a slightly high spot can cause chewing pain. Your dentist can also check the crown margins to determine the cause of your flossing issues. I hope this helps.  Follow me for more questions and answers.

New crown. Pain, bad bite

Dear rwilcox18:

You are right.  A new crown should feel like a natural tooth, be right on the bite and you should be able to floss without the floss shredding or getting stuck under the crown.

You must go the dentist, express those concerns and have the crown replaced.  This cannot be fixed in the mouth.

If you need a second opinion go to a prosthodontist, who is the expert in restorative, cosmetic and implant dentistry in your area.

Crown Overhang

It seemed that you most likely have a overhang on your crown.  A X-ray would be able to help determine that.  You should talk to your dentist about your concerns.

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist

Pain after crown placement

It is hard to give advice without looking at an xray of the tooth and crown. I would recommend going back to your dentist to address your concerns. If a crown is completely sealed at the margins, ideally floss should not shred, so there may be a defect at the margin which needs to be corrected.