Mini Face Lift or Blepharoplasty: Which to Do First?

I'm planning a mini face lift and an upper eye blepharoplasty, but am looking at different doctors for each procedure. Which procedure should I do first?

Do the eyes first

The eyes make the most dramatic impact because that is what others notice first. Also, it is an easier recovery that may work you up to the lift. Hope that helps...

Do the eyes first

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Makes no difference which goes first between facelift and bleph.

As everyone recommends, doing both bleph and facelift together is great but if you do want to do them separate, it makes no difference which goes 1st.  I advise to do the advanced face/neck lift  and blephs both under local. Cost estimate is $2500 for upper bleph and $8800 on special for advanced face/neck lift. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery before facelift if you want separate procedures

I usually do upper eyelid blepharoplasty and facelift together at the same time.

However since you plan to have different doctors do the procedures staging is required.

The blepharoplasty of the upper eyelids will have a dramatic impact and recovery will be easier and fairly simple. Also, the results of the upper eyelid surgery will impact the appearance of your brow and the area to the side of your eyelids. This may impact the technical details of your face lift, thus it is better that this be completed before the face lift.

This is a very small and relatively minor detail. If you choose to do the facelift first, your blepharoplasty surgeon can take these details into consideration.

Minilift and eyelids--the order of procedures should go by what bothers you the most

A mini lift treats sagging jowls, and upper lid surgery removes the excess upper lid skin and fat. These two procedures are often performed together, the advantage being one recovery period. So there is no "right" answer to the question of which to do first. I would do the surgery that will make you feel better--what do you notice when you look into the mirror--the eyes or jowls? Fix the one first that bothers you the most. 

Minifacelift or upper blepharoplasty first?

Both procedures can look very natural if done properly and can be done in either order.  I would start with the part of the face that bothers you most first. 

Eyes or face first

Ideally you should be getting both relatively simple procedures from the same doctor. This would facilitate the recovery period which would be just one week for both procedures, one simple single operative event ( In my office about 1 hour to do a local facelift revision and upper blepharoplasty), and an overall a cheaper price than seeing two different surgeons. Unless you have a good reason not to, I would do everything possible to find a surgeon to do both procedures together for you. If you choose to use two different surgeons it makes no difference whatsoever which procedure you do first.

Eyes or face first

Mini Face Lift and Blepharoplasty Can Be Performed together

There is no right answer to the question; either can be performed first. Once you have fully recovered, the next surgeon would modify his or her procedure based on the results from the first. However, I do wonder why you are looking at two separate surgeons for your blepharoplasty and mini lift. These can easily be accomplished in one procedure, saving you a second period of downtime and recovery. I would recommend continuing your search until you find one board-certified facial plastic surgeon who has expertise both in blepharoplasty and mini-lifts and get them both done at the same time. I hope this helps.

Do them both at the same time

If you have desires for rejuvenation to both of these areas, then do them at the same time.  The main reason that individuals elect to do only one procedure at a time is often related to cost considerations.  The facelift will likely provide a greater bang for your effort, so consider it as the more higher priority if you decide on only doing one procedure only.

Do them both at the same time

Ideally if you can have both procedures performed at the same time by the same surgeon then that is ideal, because of the benefit of one recovery. Also, depending on the amount of excess skin on the upper eyes as well as your brow position, sometimes this will influence the incisions to be made for the face lift. However, if you feel confident that you want to do one procedure at a time by different then I would get the opinions of the surgeons. Probably, it does not really matter with unless a brow lift or lower eyelid blepharoplasty is being considered as that may affect the face lift. When I do both procedures for a patient, I typically do the face lift first.

Which bothers you the most?

Hi christina 123

These procedure can be performed together or independently. It is important to address the area which concerns you the most - first. However some choose to have the procedures together as the recovery time will be shorter for one rather than two separate times doing them independently.

The recovery time for upper eye lid surgery will be about 5-7 days of bruising and swelling and for mini face lift is very much dependent on the surgeon and the technique that they perform. Ask your surgeon about the recovery time and ask to see his before and after pictures and contact previous patients so that you are fully informed.

It is important to have the muscle tightening for the face as otherwise skin tightening only will have a short longevity.

Which bothers you the most?

Hi christina 123