Mini Face Lift or Blepharoplasty: Which to Do First?

I'm planning a mini face lift and an upper eye blepharoplasty, but am looking at different doctors for each procedure. Which procedure should I do first?

Eyelid surgery before facelift if you want separate procedures

I usually do upper eyelid blepharoplasty and facelift together at the same time.

However since you plan to have different doctors do the procedures staging is required.

The blepharoplasty of the upper eyelids will have a dramatic impact and recovery will be easier and fairly simple. Also, the results of the upper eyelid surgery will impact the appearance of your brow and the area to the side of your eyelids. This may impact the technical details of your face lift, thus it is better that this be completed before the face lift.

This is a very small and relatively minor detail. If you choose to do the facelift first, your blepharoplasty surgeon can take these details into consideration.

Ideally if you can have both procedures performed at the same time by the same surgeon then that is ideal, because of the benefit of one recovery. Also, depending on the amount of excess skin on the upper eyes as well as your brow position, sometimes this will influence the incisions to be made for the face lift. However, if you feel confident that you want to do one procedure at a time by different then I would get the opinions of the surgeons. Probably, it does not really matter with unless a brow lift or lower eyelid blepharoplasty is being considered as that may affect the face lift. When I do both procedures for a patient, I typically do the face lift first.

Which bothers you the most?

Hi christina 123

These procedure can be performed together or independently. It is important to address the area which concerns you the most - first. However some choose to have the procedures together as the recovery time will be shorter for one rather than two separate times doing them independently.

The recovery time for upper eye lid surgery will be about 5-7 days of bruising and swelling and for mini face lift is very much dependent on the surgeon and the technique that they perform. Ask your surgeon about the recovery time and ask to see his before and after pictures and contact previous patients so that you are fully informed.

It is important to have the muscle tightening for the face as otherwise skin tightening only will have a short longevity.

Mini facelift and bleph

Depending on your concerns, either of these procedures can be performed first, or they can be performed in conjunction with one another at the same time. It is important to discuss with your surgeon what are of concern is your priority.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini-Faelift or Blepharoplasty -which to do first

Hi and thanks for your question.  I would highly recommend doing both at the same time. I very often do both procedures at the time.  The advantages are a single healing period, lower surgicenter/anesthesia fees and lower procedure fee for combining the procedures.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Done together

There's no reason why you shouldn't consider having the two surgeries together, except for cost. Any experienced surgeon should be able to help you.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining facelift and blepharoplasty

A facelift and upper blepharoplasty are very complementary procedures and do very well when combined together. Most of the time, patient selected do them simultaneously. This is simple from a logistical standpoint obviously, but if your preference is to split these procedures between different surgeons, that would also work.

It does not really matter which order you do them in, the blepharoplasty will likely have an easier recovery and is less likely to cause swelling in the rest your face that could alter the facelift. My best advice is to try to do them somewhat close together so that you can combine your downtime from the two procedures as much as possible.

To guarantee you're receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS, FASDS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Mini Lift and Upper Lid Blepharoplasty, Which Should You Do First?

The answer to this question lies in your own personal preferences.  I am not sure why the necessity for two Surgeons, since these two procedures are routinely performed together. However, this is also an issue of personal preference as long as you understand that it will be more expensive if separated into two events.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two Procedures

Any Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is well trained in both. The upper lids are often combined with a facelift to enhance the result. 

Why not find a plastic surgeon that can do them both at the same time and save yourself the hassle of two anesthetics?

If you have to split them up do the facelift first.

Dr. J

A. Dean Jabs M.D., Ph.D.
Bethesda MD/McLean VA
301.493.4334/703.506.0683

Makes no difference which goes first between facelift and bleph.

As everyone recommends, doing both bleph and facelift together is great but if you do want to do them separate, it makes no difference which goes 1st.  I advise to do the advanced face/neck lift  and blephs both under local. Cost estimate is $2500 for upper bleph and $8800 on special for advanced face/neck lift. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon