Mini Face Lift or Blepharoplasty: Which to Do First?

I'm planning a mini face lift and an upper eye blepharoplasty, but am looking at different doctors for each procedure. Which procedure should I do first?

Eyelid surgery before facelift if you want separate procedures

I usually do upper eyelid blepharoplasty and facelift together at the same time.

However since you plan to have different doctors do the procedures staging is required.

The blepharoplasty of the upper eyelids will have a dramatic impact and recovery will be easier and fairly simple. Also, the results of the upper eyelid surgery will impact the appearance of your brow and the area to the side of your eyelids. This may impact the technical details of your face lift, thus it is better that this be completed before the face lift.

This is a very small and relatively minor detail. If you choose to do the facelift first, your blepharoplasty surgeon can take these details into consideration.

Eyes or face first

Ideally you should be getting both relatively simple procedures from the same doctor. This would facilitate the recovery period which would be just one week for both procedures, one simple single operative event ( In my office about 1 hour to do a local facelift revision and upper blepharoplasty), and an overall a cheaper price than seeing two different surgeons. Unless you have a good reason not to, I would do everything possible to find a surgeon to do both procedures together for you. If you choose to use two different surgeons it makes no difference whatsoever which procedure you do first.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do the eyes first

The eyes make the most dramatic impact because that is what others notice first. Also, it is an easier recovery that may work you up to the lift. Hope that helps...

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Face Lift and Blepharoplasty Can Be Performed together

There is no right answer to the question; either can be performed first. Once you have fully recovered, the next surgeon would modify his or her procedure based on the results from the first. However, I do wonder why you are looking at two separate surgeons for your blepharoplasty and mini lift. These can easily be accomplished in one procedure, saving you a second period of downtime and recovery. I would recommend continuing your search until you find one board-certified facial plastic surgeon who has expertise both in blepharoplasty and mini-lifts and get them both done at the same time. I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do them both at the same time

If you have desires for rejuvenation to both of these areas, then do them at the same time.  The main reason that individuals elect to do only one procedure at a time is often related to cost considerations.  The facelift will likely provide a greater bang for your effort, so consider it as the more higher priority if you decide on only doing one procedure only.

David Q. Santos, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideally if you can have both procedures performed at the same time by the same surgeon then that is ideal, because of the benefit of one recovery. Also, depending on the amount of excess skin on the upper eyes as well as your brow position, sometimes this will influence the incisions to be made for the face lift. However, if you feel confident that you want to do one procedure at a time by different then I would get the opinions of the surgeons. Probably, it does not really matter with unless a brow lift or lower eyelid blepharoplasty is being considered as that may affect the face lift. When I do both procedures for a patient, I typically do the face lift first.

Michael N. Desvigne, MD, FACS

Which bothers you the most?

Hi christina 123

These procedure can be performed together or independently. It is important to address the area which concerns you the most - first. However some choose to have the procedures together as the recovery time will be shorter for one rather than two separate times doing them independently.

The recovery time for upper eye lid surgery will be about 5-7 days of bruising and swelling and for mini face lift is very much dependent on the surgeon and the technique that they perform. Ask your surgeon about the recovery time and ask to see his before and after pictures and contact previous patients so that you are fully informed.

It is important to have the muscle tightening for the face as otherwise skin tightening only will have a short longevity.

Mini facelift and bleph

Depending on your concerns, either of these procedures can be performed first, or they can be performed in conjunction with one another at the same time. It is important to discuss with your surgeon what are of concern is your priority.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini-Faelift or Blepharoplasty -which to do first

Hi and thanks for your question.  I would highly recommend doing both at the same time. I very often do both procedures at the time.  The advantages are a single healing period, lower surgicenter/anesthesia fees and lower procedure fee for combining the procedures.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Done together

There's no reason why you shouldn't consider having the two surgeries together, except for cost. Any experienced surgeon should be able to help you.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon