when can you walk after a face lift?

Walking After a Facelift

Typically, I want my patients to walk the next day.  This helps with recovery.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Walking for Exercise after Facelift

Your surgeon is the most knowledgeable person to consult when looking to resume light physical activity- such as walking- after your facelift. He or she is most informed about your condition, and will be monitoring your recovery closely in the first days and weeks post-op. In my practice, I have found that patients can begin walking for exercise at about 10-14 days into recovery. Again, this estimate is dependent on how your body is healing, and can vary significantly from patient to patient. It is always better to adopt a conservative approach to recovery, easing your body slowly into your pre-surgery lifestyle

Will I be able to walk after my facelift?

You will be able to walk after a brief recovery period following your facelift. Mostly, however, your recovery period is a time for resting. We discourage any exercise that increases your blood pressure and heart rate for 2 weeks after your surgery.Be sure to follow your doctors instructions. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Walking after a facelift

You will be walking the same day of surgery. Walking to increase heart rate and perspire is another story. Your "downtime" will vary depending upon the particulars of your procedure. Be sure to follow your doctor's orders very carefully.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Activity after facelift

Thanks for your question

I ask my patients to begin walking soon after surgery with assistance.  This has been shown to speed recovery and decrease post surgery risks including blood clots.  I give all my patients specific on walking and activity for the first 2 weeks after facelift.  After 2 weeks they may resume more activity including exercise.

Hope this helps.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Walking after a face lift

• I want my patients out of bed and walking right after a face lift,
  • But if you mean going for walks for exercise - the earliest I allow is 2 weeks.

You can walk around the day of surgery

Unless otherwise instructed, I like my facelift patients to walk on the day of surgery, *with assistance* in case they are not as alert due to medications or anesthesia still in their system. The reason I like patients to walk after surgery is to prevent blood clots or atelectasis (closing or collapse of small lung passages when you aren't taking deep breaths, that can lead to fever). This does not mean walking for long distances or power-walking for exercise, but simply walking around the house, and to and from the bathroom. Once anesthesia has worn off, and you understand how pain medication affects you, you may no longer need assistance and can walk on your own. The time it takes for this is different person to person. The actual instructions therefore will vary for each patient, and you should ask your surgeon for his or her recommendations for you in particular.

Anita Patel, MD

Patients are permitted to walk immediately after facelift.

I permit my patients to resume walking for exercise immediately after facelift. Restrictions particular to a patient should be given by their own surgeon however.

Ok to walk after a facelift

Patient should follow their plastic surgeon’s specific post-operative instructions to achieve a uneventful recovery. Walking after a facelift would be safe in most of the cases. However, surgeons may require their facelift patients to refrain from walking in certain cases. Facelift patients must always clarify any questions with their surgeon or surgeon’s nurse team.

John Mesa, MD

When can you walk after a facelift.

Thank you for your question.  It is crucial that you follow the advice of your plastic surgeon who will be performing your facelift to advise you as to when you can walk.  In my practice if patients are doing well postoperatively I recommend that they be up and around and walking the day after surgery to prevent the risk of blood clots in the leg.