Uneven healing post Gynecomastia Surgery. (photos)

I had Gynecomastia surgery 5 weeks ago.Since then,one side of my chest seems bigger and puffy around the nipple. It should be noted, the other side the nipple hangs lower and is hard all over to the touch as if there is still scar tissue; on this flat side they had to go back in during surgery to remove excess blood, and placed a drainer on that side.I wanted to know if this was normal, or am I having uneven healing or fluid buildup on the other side. My follow up isn't until Dec 13.

You are still in the process of healing and swelling is common at this stage. Follow up with your surgeon's post op instructions and continue wearing the compression vest.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia

You are likely swollen as well and this will contribute to the findings on exam.  Best to keep a close eye on it with your surgeon.

Healing after gynecomastia surgery

Thanks for your post. I think it would be worth getting into see your surgeon a little sooner, just to have a look. I don't see that you have a large fluid collection in the photos, but this needs to be checked in person. You still have a lot of healing left to do in terms of final appearances. That skin will continue to retract and look better. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Uneven chest

Congratulations on your surgery.  Based on your timeline of 5 weeks, it is generally too early to tell your final results until at least 3-6 months have gone by, and it is extremely common not only to have this amount of swelling, but also uneven swelling as the weeks go by.  It is often my observation that the skin tightening specifically takes the longest, just like nerve recovery from numbness, which often takes 3-6 months conservatively. Continue to compress your chest with an appropriate garment for another 4-8 weeks to speed up your recovery.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon