Uneven healing post Gynecomastia Surgery. (photos)

I had Gynecomastia surgery 5 weeks ago.Since then,one side of my chest seems bigger and puffy around the nipple. It should be noted, the other side the nipple hangs lower and is hard all over to the touch as if there is still scar tissue; on this flat side they had to go back in during surgery to remove excess blood, and placed a drainer on that side.I wanted to know if this was normal, or am I having uneven healing or fluid buildup on the other side. My follow up isn't until Dec 13.

Uneven Healing at 5 Weeks Post-Op

Hello, and thank you for your question. Here are some common post-operative healing issues that can occur with this procedure:

• Asymmetry during the healing process
  • Lumps or firmness under skin
  • Prolonged swelling (edema)
  • Skin Pigment changes
  • Prolonged redness of the incision
  • Blood clots
  • Hematoma
  • Breast contour or shape irregularities
  • Anesthesia risks
  • Infection
  • Scarring
  • Fluid accumulation
  • Persistent pain
  • Temporary or permanent changes in breast or nipple sensation

And some definitions of these issues:

Contour Abnormalities: Although the doctor will make every effort to give you a “perfect” result, the area of excess tissue removal may end up with a contour that is slightly too high or too low. You may feel the “edge” around the areolar dissection. Massage and time (4-6 months) usually eliminates or reduces this problem, if it occurs.

Reduced sensation of nipple: Any surgery of the breast can lead to reduced nipple sensation. Reduced sensation is usually temporary, but may take months to resolve. In unusual cases, some permanent loss of sensation may occur.

Recurrence of Breast Enlargement: This is uncommon, but can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery later.

Seroma Formation: A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Harness Within Breasts: Postoperative scarring within the breast tissue may cause areas of hardness. Occasionally, areas of hardness, when discovered later may cause worries about cancer. Mammography or even biopsy is occasionally indicated.

Now, one of the best things to remember is that if you find yourself concerned at all about the healing process at any point you should visit your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that everything is progressing as it should. There can always be complications, but revisions are possible if needed. Best of luck.

You are still in the process of healing and swelling is common at this stage. Follow up with your surgeon's post op instructions and continue wearing the compression vest.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia

You are likely swollen as well and this will contribute to the findings on exam.  Best to keep a close eye on it with your surgeon.

Healing after gynecomastia surgery

Thanks for your post. I think it would be worth getting into see your surgeon a little sooner, just to have a look. I don't see that you have a large fluid collection in the photos, but this needs to be checked in person. You still have a lot of healing left to do in terms of final appearances. That skin will continue to retract and look better. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Uneven chest

Congratulations on your surgery.  Based on your timeline of 5 weeks, it is generally too early to tell your final results until at least 3-6 months have gone by, and it is extremely common not only to have this amount of swelling, but also uneven swelling as the weeks go by.  It is often my observation that the skin tightening specifically takes the longest, just like nerve recovery from numbness, which often takes 3-6 months conservatively. Continue to compress your chest with an appropriate garment for another 4-8 weeks to speed up your recovery.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon