Doctor Said I Should Wear Jeans and My Compression Garment for at Least 3 Months?

After having liposculpture on my flanks, back and a butt enhancement, 2wks ago. my dr said I should wear jeans and my compression garment for at least 3 months, is this correct?

Wearing compression garnments post liposculpture

There are no official timings for the usage of compression garnments.  Each doctor recommends them according to their own experience.  As a matter of fact, this was brought up in the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Meeting 2016, yesturday in Las Vegas, Nevada.  There was no consensus on the timing, but the majority opted for leaving them for a minimum of 4 weeks post op. 

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Compression Garments after Liposuction

Compression garments are typically recommended for 4 to 6 weeks after liposuction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Compression Garment for 3 Months

You should follow the recommendations of your physician. With those areas, results are maximized when you compress the area to help drainage and re-tightening of the skin. 

Liposculpture and wearing compression garment

I agree with your doctor that wearing a compression garment post liposculpture will be beneficial.  It will help reduce swelling and help improve your final shape.  I have my patients wear the garment for at least 6 weeks but many wear it for 3 months and see further improvement in the second six weeks.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment

Wearing the compression garment for  3 months is correct. The longer you wear the garment the better the result you will have. You will see the final result after six months.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Compression garment after liposculpture

Your doctor is very right.I also like my patients to use compression garments for 3 months to end into a uniform surface finally.Otherwise there is a good chance that the outer skin surface may be irregular and nodular at places.

Professor Dr.Ashok Govila , Dubai

Liposuction/Liposculpture Compression Garment usage

Liposuction/Liposculpture Compression Garment Use -

All liposuction patients, especially those having it around their torso, need to wear compression garments after surgery. For the first three weeks, you should wear a medical compression garment 24/7. After this it depends on the skin elasticity you have, the amount of skin redundancy, and amount of fat removed. Only your surgeon will be able to best inform you how long you should wear your compression garments. For the majority of my patients it is for 6 weeks. They may be uncomfortable, but they aid the healing process and reduce swelling. You can probably switch to a lighter compression garment like Spanx after six weeks.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS