Can I Have Permanent Swelling from Liposculpture?

I had Liposculpture about 8-10 weeks ago and I still feel tight and swollen. In fact the only time I look flat and don't feel tightness is after wearing compression garments over night. Other wise I am swollen, and tight and numb in places. And I hate the look. Is it possible the procedure did not work and I could have permanent swellen?

8 to 10 Weeks after Liposuction and Swelling, Tightness, and Numbness

8 to 10 Weeks after liposuction there is frequently Swelling, Tightness, and Numbness.  This should improve over 3 to 6 months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD liposculpture Los Angeles, CA

An I Have Permanent Swelling from Liposculpture?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Too much activity

It is not common to have prolonged swelling after liposuction surgery.  You may be engaged in too much physical activity.

Permanent Swelling from Liposculpture?

Thank you for your question. Liposuction can remain swollen for up to 6 months, and maybe up to 8 or 9 in some individuals. Permanent, I have not seen any swelling beyond 12 months. Swelling beyond a year is likely due to some o I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Compression after liposuction

Compression usually helps resolve swelling after liposuction.  The amount of swelling depends on the severity of liposuction aspiration and the amount of postoperative compression. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Swelling after liposuction

Swelling after liposuction usually gets better with time, but this may take several months.  Good luck.

Swelling After Liposculpture

Swelling after liposuction can last up to six months.  However, the swelling with tumescent liposculpture is usually much less severe due to the tiny cannulas and gentler process than with regular liposuction.  Most of our patients only wear a compression garment for 1 week and then switch to a Spanx or similar lightweight garment for one month.  Then there’s just a little swelling and firmness that diminishes slowly for a few months.  I suspect you had the larger cannulas because of the degree of swelling at this point.  You really need to check with your doctor and see what is normal for the procedure that you had.   Without knowing for sure, I suspect your swelling is normal.  You just need to wait a while longer, get some good exercise like walking to help with circulation, and wait it out.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposculpture and post operative swelling

It is not unusual to have continued swelling even 8 to 10 weeks following liposculpture.  This swelling will eventually subside, however it may take several more weeks.  Continue to wear your compression garment as this will help speed the process.  Also watch your salt intake as this can prolong swelling.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Can liposculpture cause permanent swelling?

Liposculpture is traumatic and causes serious swelling.  I always counsel my patients that they will need to wait 6 to 12 months for all the swelling to resolve!  While it is possible to develop permanent swelling (we call that persistent edema), it is FAR too early to tell if that will be the case for you.  The fact that your garment reduces the swelling is an excellent sign that your body will slowly absorb this extra fluid.  Keep wearing your garment and be patient.  Your best results are still ahead of you!

Swelling after Liposculpture

I think this is an indication of good result since that's how you should feel 8 weeks after fat transfer.It has to be over filled since lot of it body is going to reabsorb and then perhaps you may not be happy with the result.Have patience and I am sure doctor has done a good job for you

Professor Dr.Ashok Govila ,Dubai