Any Ways to Correct "Dented" Lip Scar? (photo)

Hi! I'm 19 this year, I've got a scar on the right side of my upper lip from falling off a bicycle around 10 years ago. When it happened, it swelled badly and there was blood clot in my lip, it healed eventually and left a scar. Now it look dented. What are the methods I could do to make it less visible and is it possible to get it back to how it originally look? Thank you, your help & answers are much appreciated.

Doctor Answers 5

Lip scar reduction surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This indented scar is likely due to scar retraction and can be corrected with a lip scar reduction procedure and layered closure.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Surgery vs filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would not use a filler. Though the picture is not great , this appears to be an indentation that is easily corrected by minor surgery.  A Plastic Surgeon should be able to correct this by local tissue rearrangement  and the correction is permanent the scar is barely visible.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Correcting "Dented" Lip Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In our practice we do a lot of scar/defect corrections and we use liquid injectable silicone. It is an excellent filler for correcting dents such as yours as it is precise and permanent.  We have corrected many similar scars ("dents") on the lip with silicone and they have all done very well.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced in correcting scars with minimally invasive techniques.  Click on the link below for a few before and after photos of indentations/scars corrected with liquid injectable silicone. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Any Ways to Correct "Dented" Lip Scar?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for the excellent photos. I would try a filler injected into the "dent" first to see if any improvement ca be attained

Indent in lip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Of course an exam would be essential. You did not say if you split the lip and it is difficult to see. if the lip was split, it may be a separation of the  muscle.  If there is no cut, you may use a filler to achieve your goals to fill it out.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.