Umbilicoplasty gone wrong. Is there any way to improve the scarring or reshape the belly button? (Photos)

Hey I'm a black male in my 20s. I had a very bad surgeon that performed an umbilicoplasty in 2007 that has left the area badly scared.I have had 1 consultation already and have been told that I don't have a lot of skin in the area to work with. I really would like to correct this or at least improve it.Happy to travel overseas for the right surgeon.Please advise

Doctor Answers 4

Dark scars and umbilical scar revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Plato's Scar Serum, Melarase PM; fat grafting, and surgical scar revision can help camouflage your scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Umbilicoplasty gone wrong

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photographs.  I do think that your belly button appearance can be made better by removing the vertical scar along the upper part of your belly button while using stitches to create a more "innie" appearance.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, they should be able to help you with a short in-office procedure.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sorry to hear about your problem. Yes there's certainly something that can be done...  Essentially moving the top part down and trying to get the middle to invert as well. It would have some scar but at least it wouldn't look like a double umbo.  Hopefully just a nice round uniform shape.  You should be able to find a PS near you but if not let me know!

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Belly Button Plastic Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, based on the photo (and you need an in person examination) I think that could be made better.  It would require some local anesthesia and about 40 minutes of tinkering, but you should be able to achieve an improved result.
No need to travel overseas, just find a board certified plastic surgeon near you and I'm sure this can be done.
Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.