Buccal Fat Removal Recovery Time?

Hi, I would like to know how much recovery time is required for Buccal Fat Removal. I use everyday public transport so I'm afraid people and coworkers may notice it. Any tips to reduce the recovery time? Also, I have to do teeth bleaching, is it better to do it before or after the surgery? Thanks

Doctor Answers 3

Buccal Fat Removal Recovery Time? = minimal #buccalfatremoval #buccalfatexcision #chubbycheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my practice I perform buccal fat removal under local anesthesia without any type of sedation. Additionally since the procedure is minimally invasive and takes under one hour to be performed, the patients have a minimal recovery. Most of my patients have mild swelling that last for one or two days. More than 90% of my patients go back to work or to school the next day. The other 10% takes the day after surgery off and go back to work or school the second day after surgery. 

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 141 reviews

Buccal fat removal recovery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Recovery from the procedure is generally quite quick. You made me swollen for a few days, but it generally is not enough to even think about when you are out and about. The procedure really has minimal downtime for most patients. I recommend you seek a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of plastic surgery and has extensive experience with this procedure.

Joubin Gabbay, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Recovery time from a buccal fat excision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The recovery time after buccal fat excision is rather quick. After the procedure, you will have a few stitches on the inside of the mouth and you will need to eat a soft diet for 3 to 4 days. It will be some swelling present in the face after the surgery. The swelling is typically moderate and will slowly resolve over a few weeks. In regards to your work, I wouldn't think you would need more than a few days off.  After that time, you should be older go back to work without significant change in your appearance.
I hope this helps

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.