I'm 6 weeks post-op Lipo of abdomen/flanks, back & BBL. Will these irregularities on my lower abdomen go? (Photo)

I have developed irregularities on my lower abdomen between week 2-3 post Lipo. My ps said its due to my garment and sitting down at work. I really worried it won't go, the area is still soft, and I'm having lpg 3 X per week, and lymph drainage/ deep tissue massage 1x per week, and massaging the area daily myself. Will this correct itself? I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm still swollen too. Any advice much appreciated. Thank you

Scar tissue

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#liposuction #drdeanvistnes #realself

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I'm 6 weeks post-op Lipo of abdomen/flanks, back & BBL. Will these irregularities on my lower abdomen go?

Thanks for your question and pictures.  Congratulations on your recent surgery!  You are still early in your healing period after liposuction.  Keep doing what you are and follow your surgeon's advice.  Asymmetric swelling can persist for some time (sometimes as long as a year) after liposuction.

Naveen Setty, MD

Liposuction - result is irregular after 6 weeks

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Swelling is normal after liposuction -
  • You won't see your final result for another 4 - 5 months.
  • I agree the irregularities are striking but they are likely to improve a very great deal. 
  • Massage can be helpful - there is little more you can do except wait.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Uneven swelling after lipo

I agree that it's early and you should continue your program you described. The garment should be firm, not tight. Good luck and see your surgeon for opinion.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon