Severe sunburn and Lipo. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had 600cc removed from my abdomen 4 wks ago, and recovery has been great-- after 2 wks was instructed to wear cg for heavy activity only. A week ago I was in a bikini, didn't apply enough sunscreen and got dark patchy sunburns on my stomach and back which blistered 2 days later. The blisters never popped and went away, but I still have red patches. I have been using aloe and ibuprofen as directed by a pharmacist and they are fading (my back has started peeling). Will the burn affect my final result?

Sun Burn -- Silicone Based Scar Gels, Vaseline/Aquaphor

The burn shouldn't affect your liposuction but should be treated to prevent scarring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scarring

A sunburn injury even if it blistered should be superficial enough that lasting scarring will not occur. But if you had a deeper injury, redness may persist. Best thing to do is to allow it to heal and avoid any additional sun to the area until next summer. Best of luck.

Sunburn after liposuction.

Thanks so much for your question. Your sunburn should have no impact on the result from your lipo, although that is quite a severe sunburn! The sunburn is superficial and may leave you with uneven skin tone but should resolve over time. I suggest you follow up with your surgeon and perhaps he can provide you with a prescription that will be more effective than aloe. 

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. I would recommend you to continue the aloe vera creme and maybe even ask your surgeon if there i a medicated cream that he would recommend you. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD