How long will it take for the tip to drop?

I had open rhinoplasty 10 wks ago. I asked for a curved side profile but I didn't want the tip to be upturned. My doctor insisted on a slight tip rotation. He said the tip is usually overcorrected so that it drops to a normal level after surgery. Currently the tip is overrotated+ my side profile looks fake. My nose is still swollen.The tip is very hard + I can't move it left/right/up/down. Is there anything I can do to make it drop more than normal? Could pushing the swollen tip downwards help?

Tip elevation

if your surgeon has used temporary stitches to elevate the tip it may still stop a little otherwise if permanent internal sutures were used it will not drop

Tip elevation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Tip after rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. I believe it's unlikely to drop much but as the swelling subsides, it should continue to come down. Often, some massage can help lower the tip a bit, but that's something you want to clear with your surgeon since he/she may have cartilage grafts in that area that need not be massaged. Best of luck in your recovery. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Tip after rhinoplasty

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Tip

Thanks for your question. I would certainly advise discussing with your surgeon prior to undertaking any efforts to "push" the tip down. If there are cartilage grafts or sutures that are helping to form your tip shape you may dislodge or move something. In my opinion the tip is unlikely to drop unless it was severely ptotic to begin with. A ptotic tip or long droopy tip can occasionally  drop a few millimeters within a few years after surgery, however this is not the expected result for a tip that was simply rotated. In short please discuss your concerns with your surgeon prior to doing anything. Hope this helps.  

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Waiting for the tip to drop

It is generally not recommended for you to push, or try to alter, the position of the nose in the first 6 weeks after a rhinoplasty, as you may alter the final results.  It often takes 3-4 months for the nose to "settle" into position, and the final results can take up to 12-18 months.  You surgeon can provide you with a reasonable timeline of events to expect certain results, as he or she knows exactly what was done during the procedure.

Waiting for the tip to drop