I am scheduled for touch up rhinoplasty soon. Can the bumps on the edge of my nose be fixed?

I had rhinoplasty recently and was left with a side profile that wasn't straight, as well as sharp edges of my nasal bones that appear as bumps from a quater of the way around. My surgeon said they need 'adequate' filing but i am concerned that it could cause an open roof to form,or dents (as i've heard dents are common when filing the sides of the nasal bone).The top needs rasping as well as alot off the uneven edges.Is this risky to do? Ps.My says i do not have open roof deformity at present

The plan, as you've described it, doesn't sound so good to me.

Okay, well, whenever I give some very specific advice on this board, I often preface it with "remember, I haven't had a chance to examine you in person yet" and then I usually say, "But..."

But, I don't see that rasping would do anything at all. I'm surprised that in sooooo many posts on RealSelf, people talk about "rasping" as a way of fixing problems from a previous rhinoplasty. Of course, it's because their doctors said that rasping was the answer. "Rasping" fixes very little, especially in a revision. Seems to me that the nasal bones need to be brought closer to each other where they meet, along the bridge of the nose. Rasping won't give you a bump-free triangular contour to your nasal bones. 

Sorry to throw a wrench into things, but you asked. That's my two cents.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, bumps, and rasping

From your photos, it looks like you would benefit from a formal hump reduction. Most bumps on the nose are caused by both bony AND cartilaginous bumps.  The cartilaginous portion does not respond very well to rasping or "filing."   More formal techniques are needed.  Honestly, even for most bony bump, more formal reductions of the bump is necessary.  Both rasping and formal hump reduction can cause open roof deformities but these are death with at the time of surgery and planned on by the experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Hope this helps!

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon