Nose still looks really wide 3 months after septo/rhinoplasty. Is it just a case of waiting for the swelling to go down? (Photo)

I'm really worried that my nose is going to be wider than it was before I had my surgery. I had a dorsal hump and a deviated septum. I asked for the tip of my nose to be refined also. If you look at the pictures my old nose was quite narrow, this probably one of the few features of my old nose that I liked. Can you tell if it is just a case of waiting for the swelling to go down? I really hate how it looks just now, it's really getting me down. Thank you

Three months post septorhinoplasty concerns

Dear Ukgirly, Three months is soon to determine your post operative result however I would speak with your surgeon to determine if osteotomies were performed at the time of your procedure. If osteotomies were performed then you have swelling that will take sometime to dissipate to see your final result. If your surgeon did not perform osteotomies then you may need to have this revised to narrow the nose.  I would not be to concerned with your tip refinement at this time as the tip is the last portion of the swelling to dissipate. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Nose post op appears wider than before surgery

I agree with the other doctors that at 3 months, you are too early to see your final result. However, that being said, you should talk to your doctor & ask if he broke your nose or not. When a dorsal hump is removed and the nose is not fractured, you can end up with what is called an open roof deformity which makes the bridge of your nose wider after removal of the hump. If he did fracture your nose, what you are seeing is simply swelling and this should resolve. If he did not fracture your nose, there is a chance that you will need a revision to narrow your nose

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

3 months after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are a concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside. It is important to understand that swelling masks the results of your surgery.

Therefore, it is way too early to pass a judgement. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling subsides, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Wide nose after surgery

Your photo of the nose before surgery is not a straight shot. It is hard to assess. The present nose still has swelling but that is mostly in the tip area. The width above the tip is not going to change much. It is aesthetically a pleasing nose and I would not recommend any changes for at least a few months. Ideally wait a whole year.
Regards
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early result after rhinoplasty looks good

Thanks for your question.  Your early result after surgery looks good. Give another 6 months before your judge your final result. 

Need to wait

In these pictures the Nasal  dorsum does look wide and so as the tip ,but you need to wait for few months for all swelling to go,and then consult your surgeon

Brajendra Baser, MS, DNB
India Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose still looks really wide 3 months after septo/rhinoplasty. Is it just a case of waiting for the swelling to go down?

Swelling may take a year or more to resolve.  It is always difficult to assess the final result in the healing process and without the benefit of an exam.

Swelling 3 months after rhinoplasty

3 Months PO is not enough time to make an accurate assessment -- you still have swelling -- which should subside within 6-8 months from now. 
Always best to talk to your PS re/ your concerns.

Guess what I see in your posted photos is NOT what you are seeing... I love the early result as seen... 

Nose wider than pre-op

Most likely the tip is still swollen and will take up to a year for it to settle down.  Best of luck with your result.