Will leaving the implant capsule (under muscle) interfere with mammograms?

I am having my saline breast implants removed. They are under the muscle. My plastic surgeon is not removing the capsule; he said that it will eventually dissolve in my body. Will this scar tissue interfere with mammograms? Will the capsule hide any possible tumors?

The capsule will not interfere

Just like the presence of a breast implant shouldn't interfere with a mammogram and the correct diagnosis of breast cancer, the capsule should not interfere with a mammogram.

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Capsule will not interfere with breast cancer screening

With under the muscle implants, the capsules are behind the breast tissue and muscle, so they won't get in the way of mammograms or breast exams.  As long as they are not thick and calcified, they are expected to resolve on their own after implant removal.

OK to leave capsule with implant removal

Because the capsule is behind the muscle it is not likely to interfere with mammograms. Your surgeon should however make sure that the muscle is re-attached, which will also help the capsule to close up and heal.

Richard Baxter, MD

Implant removal

A normal capsule is very thin and should not interfere with mammogram.  Also the Mammogram focuses on the breast tissue above the muscle not what is underneath the muscle.  If there is any concern in your breast screening down the line, Ultrasound, 3D mammogram or MRI are useful additional studies.

Tracey H. Stokes, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Capsule of implants

If the capsule was thin, it will likely resorb and likely should not impact your mammograms to any significant extent.