Is it safe to use IPL hair removal with an extended vitiligo?

I have a very extended Vitiligo on my face , arms, hands, legs,...etc A few days ago I bought an IPL hair removal machine. I want to know if it'a safe to use the machine in my case especially I don't want my vitiligo to be worst !!! It's worst enough like this... Thank you so much for answering my question.

Hair removal and vitiligo

Thank you for your question mirvar610440. I understand your concern. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. It can also be used for permanent hair reduction. Vitiligo is a condition characterized by the appearance of depigmented patches on the skin. Those with vitiligo are susceptible to seeing new patches when there are insults to the skin such as cuts, burns, or laser treatment. Therefore there is a risk the those with vitiligo who receive laser treatments will see worsening of the condition or the appearance of new depigmented patches. I have found that at-home devices are relatively ineffective and I advise my patients against it.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Hair removal and vitiligo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

IPL and vitiligo

It is not safe to use IPL or similar hair removals if you have vitiligo since further discoloration of the skin is more likely to occur in treated areas. If wanting to remove unwanted hair with laser removal consult an expert who can evaluate your case and help you attain desired results.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

IPL and vitiligo

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

IPL and vitiligo

Great question - Hyopigmentation or loss of pigmentation is a risk for anyone using IPL for hair removal (or use of most lasers in general), but someone with vitiligo is especially susceptible to a potential increase in hyopigmentation or loss of pigmentation. When there has been trauma to the skin and the skin is in the healing process i.e. after laser hair removal, there is the potential risk to increase the amount of vitiligo in the area treated and/or on other areas of the body. I would highly recommend seeking the advice of a laser professional before beginning self treatments at home. Best of luck!

IPL and vitiligo

When in Doubt--See an expert for laser hair removal

Laser hair removal can depigment the skin if not used properly.  I suggest only going to a well trained cosmetic dermatologist with experience.  Best, Dr. Emer.