Can I Get my Old Nose Back?

I had rhinoplasty to fix a deviated septum, but the doctor also raised my tip. This was never discussed and now I don't look like my self anymore. I am now very upset and depressed. Is it possible to undo the tip raising and bring it back to its original position?

Revision Surgery

It sounds like you have had an unfortunate result from yor rhinoplasty.  Some alterations to the tip of the nose that are performed during rhinoplasty are absolutely reversible.  These include removing tip shaping sutures and removing any cartilage grafts that were placed.  Some tip changes such as cartilage removal however are not fixable as once the cartilage is gone, it is gone.  Good luck with the revision surgery.

Lowering the Tip or Reducing Projection in Revision Rhinoplasty

The tip can be lowered or derotated if it is pointing too high up.  In some people, the tip is too projected.  It is important to distinguish the two from a patient's perspective.  Both can be corrected.

Undoing a change in the nose

It is possible to reverse a change in the shape of your nose.  However, it is very difficult.  You need an extremely experienced surgeon in revision rhinoplasty.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

It's hard to go back

It may be possible to try to return your tip to its pre surgery position, but  this cannot be guaranteed.  The nose will heal and affect the final result. If the nose is in a position that is in need of correction, a revision may be indicated.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting one's old nose back

It is a difficult question to answer without seeing your pre-op photos and seeing you now.  Some corrections could be made eventually once the swelling has gone down.

Revision Rhinoplasty

There are multiple reasons why the tip may be over-rotated. Photos would be helpful to further asses. If the over-rotation is from post surgical swelling then I would wait, if its related to a surgical maneuver I would proceed around 6 months.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Relax and heal

You need to give your nose a year after the surgery to fully heal before contemplating any revisional surgery. Your nose will naturally drop and soften. You  will probably never quite get your original nose back.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

I Want My Old Nose

Your nose can be lengthened if that is what you need and want. Pictures are necessary for me to be more specific.

Rhinoplasty revision

Although there are always options to revise a rhinoplasty, including revising the nasal tip position, I agree with Dr. Harrell.  Before considering another nasal surgery, it is important that you let your nose heal and allow the internal scarring to soften and the swelling to subside.   I would suggest you wait at least six to twelve months from the time of your original rhinoplasty, before having another procedure.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

How to get my old nose back?

It can be extremely frustrating to be in your position. The situation of an 'over-raised' tip may be due to one or more of several reasons and that would dictate just what is done to 'correct' what you are seeing. One of the cardinal principles in revision Rhinoplasty is to allow most swelling and scarring to resolve before re-operation, if at all possible. The waiting can be difficult for the patient but this is a very important concept in ultimately obtaining the best result. You would need to be evaluated by your surgeon and given your options. Whether you are going or not going back to your original surgeon, see several Rhinoplasty surgeons to be confident that the second surgery will put your issues to rest. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell